humming noise :(

hurtgen

hi. i have a problem with my powered subwoofer, and thought that maybe someone here could help me out. see, its a JBL TLXPS10. It worked for maybe an hour... left the house with it just plugged in the wall... came back to it making a humming noise. if i plug it into my receiver, it still does the same thing. i tried a different outlet, still same thing. fiddled with Volume and Crossover Refuency.. still. anyone have any ideas?

hi. i have a problem with my powered subwoofer,

and thought that maybe someone here could help me out. see, its a JBL

TLXPS10. It worked for maybe an hour... left the house with it just

plugged in the wall... came back to it making a humming noise. if i

plug it into my receiver, it still does the same thing. i tried a

different outlet, still same thing. fiddled with Volume and Crossover

Refuency.. still. anyone have any ideas?

First of all, you should never plug your sub into your reciever[li]

Always plug it into a wall, and a surge protector never hurts

either. As for the humming?? It could be caused by a lot of

different things. The first thing I would do is make sure I had a

quality well shielded wire. That is one of the more common causes

of the feedback you're getting.

Guest BobG

If the sub worked fine at first then started humming a while later, it could be a defective electrical component in the sub. Try this: plug the sub into AC power (wall outlet not into your receiver) but don't connect ANY other cable to the sub. So you have the sub powered up but not connected to your system. Does it still hum? If so, it's a defective sub. If not and you then connect the cable from your system to the sub and the hum begins again, it's a different matter entirely. Get back to us and we can help you figure it out.

Im sorry about the confusion. I didnt connect the sub power cord to the receiver power, but connected the sub power cord to the same power strip that the receiver was connected to. i tried connecting to a different outlet, but still the same thing. about the wire i am using, it is copper. the gauge is plenty for what it needs. idk anymore. i think either something came loose in the connections in the box somewhere, or the sub just got a ...charge while i was out or Something. any other ideas? thanks you guys for filling me in this far.

• 2 weeks later...