First Time HT Set-up.

Hagood

After much deliberation, I think I have finally decided on the equipment for my first ever HT.

Yamaha RX-V620 Receiver

Yamaha DVD-S520 DVD Player

Klipsch Quintet System with KSW-12 Sub

Home Theater Master SL-9000 Universal Learning Remote

I 'm going with the Quintets for now because of space limitations until I get some re-modeling finished. I decided on the KSW-12 instead of the 10 so that I would already be prepaed for upgrading to larger Klipschs.

I know this desn't sound like much compared to what most of you guys have, but this is coming from a guy that was looking at the all-in-one HT in a box set-ups just three weeks ago. What do you guys think ? Do you think the KSW-12 will be too overpowering for the Quintets ?

I look forward to becoming a member of he Klipsch Family and soon upgrading to some of their "real" speakers - I've been lstening to many, and they are awesome ! This is also a great BB, and maybe one day I can help out some of you guys.

This message has been edited by Hagood on 10-31-2001 at 10:48 PM

Good to hear you made the Klipsch jump.You will not regret you decision.

The KSW12 will in now way overpower the Quintets,you simply set the gain on the sub to about 75% and then you adjust the sub gain in the reciever's menu.

All sats should be set to small,the sub will take all the workload in the bass.Better have more muscle in the sub then needed.You can always adjust the gain and match the KSW12 to the Quintets.

Enjoy the new system

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hagood - Klipsch, great decision. I have the learning remote you are considering (bought?). I found that, while it was better than most other learning remotes, the fact that the buttons had fixed labels on them and the buttons were multi-use (depending on the unit you were controlling) it became cumbersome with daily use. I finally let a friend talk me into getting the Philips Pronto remote. Yes, it's more expensive than the other one (by about $125-150), but if you can swing it, you'll be very happy. Much easier to use (and remotes get used a lot), and it will grow with you. Remember, the holidays are only a few weeks off, and what a great gift that would be!

On an aside, the Quintets are very nice. My Dad has a set. If, however, you're looking at using them for music very often, I'd say invest in the System 6 rather than the Quints (and skip the Pronto for now).

DD2

P. S. Leave it to me to stir up the pot after you said "After much deliberation..." Wink.gif Sorry.

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 11-01-2001 at 02:02 PM

I was actually considering the System 6, but because of my current space limitations I am going to mount the fronts up in the corners of the wall / ceiling like the surrounds. I didn't think I would be able to do that with the larger bookshelf speakers, but if anyone has any experience with this let me know. Thanks for the advise on the remote, I haven't bought it yet. So far I've only ordered the RX-V620 from Etronics.com for $359. Have you seen the Phillips Remote on a web site ?

Ok Doug, you talked me into it. The SB-1's actually have a threaded insert for the omni-mount already on the back. I checked out Sounddistributors.com (where I was going to purchase the Quintets w/KSW-12 for $670, but they only had the system 6 with a KSW-10. I sent in a request for them to package me a system with the KSW-12, and they responded via e-mail in less than an hour with a price of $799.00. I figured while I had them responding I would see if they would negotiate (even though it was already a great price). I sent them a reply asking "how about $775.00"? Eric Winston from the site responded again in about 30 minutes and accepted my offer ! I couldn't believe I was actually haggling with an internet site. What a great price - less than the quintet system wth a

KSW-10 in the stores ! I'm going to order tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input - I believe I will be much happier with this system. Also Doug, they did have the Pronto remote at Etronics.com - I'm still considering this.

cwm20.gif