Theplummerco HT - yet another visit...

DrWho

Man, these past few weeks have been bombarded with audio crap from left

and right. The weekend after my trip down south with Colter I found

myself in St. Louis competing in a Kuk Sool Won competition (http://www.kuksoolwon.com/). While in town, I met up with Greg (aka "theplummerco" or previously "champaign taste beer budget").

The reason for the trip was to go over some things regarding his future

insanely awesome HT that I will be helping him build (in exchange for

advertising for my audio company...if anyone else wants custom work at

cost let me know). But while there he of course had to show off his

current setup...

I think we started off in the garage where he had a custom car audio

setup mounted to his shelves. I thought it was a really cool idea and

it sounded surprisingly good. Off to the side he had a custom built

subwoofer that he had "modelled" after his Chorus I's. Man could he get

those woofers bumping.

Eventually we ended up in the living room where he has Chorus I mains,

Academy center, and heresy rears - all of which he purchased new way

back in the day (rock on dude, way to support the company). I forget

what he had for source - something connected digitally to his sunfire

reciever and sunfire 5? channel amplifier. I've really been spoiled the

last few weeks getting to hear some very nice amplification and

pre-stages...gonna be some time unil I can get reaccustomed to my

crappy reciever [+o(]

Anyways, it was a real clean system and because it was late we couldn't

blast the system. We did listen to some surround material and I got the

chance to finally hear the Academy. Tis a great center channel, but

certainly not a great timbre match for the Chorus I's. I believe Greg

even mentioned the same thing and that he far preferred the sound of

the Heresy, but it wasn't feasible due to its size and lack of magnetic

shielding.

But ya, it was a short visit as far as listening was concerned. Greg

was a really cool dude as is his wife...they are such a riot when in

the same room together, lol.

Btw, what was that soda you had me try? We went to stop by a gas

station on the way home, but I forgot the name of it and couldn't find

it...

I know it's a short review, but it seems to be tradition to talk about

audio visits so here it is. You guys have gotta see what Greg is

cooking for his future home's dedicated listening room. Even I think

he's insane [;)]

Dr Who,

Thanks for the kind words. It was good to meet ya in person. The soda you enjoyed was a Sun Drop. If you can find it in your area, get it in the bottle. The bottle soda is even better as it contains little bits of citrus in it. The cans don't have it because the local bottler won't use it (something about spoilage, I'll bet it has something to do with extra cost). But the bottles are manufactured in Texas. The best way to drink it is to have it so cold that when you pop the top the soda freezes from the neck all the way down to the bottom 1/2 inch.

Also, wanted to publicly thank you for your ideas for the insane IB (more to follow in about a year) that we've come up with. Just think surface area. It's obvious your paying attention in school. I'm pretty confident you'll find employment with the "Mighty Klipsch". Maybe in their engineering dept. or in Comercial Theater design dept.

Badboy,

If I remember correctly, We watched samples of Ladder 49, to emphasize the Homade sub. (22"X22"X37" with two old 15" MTX Terminator drivers that I had laying around).

I also put in Flim and the BB's "Big Notes". particularly track four "Funhouse" a 1985 Digitally mastered song made soley from an IBM Computer.

My kids have an extensive Walt Disney DVD Library. I think we watched parts of The Incredibles also. Its amazing how much effort Disney puts into their soundtracks.

We finished up with The Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over" DVD on DTS. My Sunfire Signature Amp 400WattsX5 is the ticket. Sunfire Theater Grand II is gettin kinda old though. I must say that's the best $3500.00 I've ever spent. Retail price was about $7000.00 for the pair. I'm still proud of the 1/2 price for new deal I scored on that one.

The garage setup isn't really worthy of photographs. I had an old Alpine head unit laying around that I bought new in 2000 and never installed it in my truck. So, I screwed it to the underside of a storage shelf. Then I screwed a pair of Orion 2X50 watt amps under the same shelf, along with an even older MTX 2X50 watt amp. I had an old lawn mower battery laying around, mounted it under the shelf to power the system. Also had a small battery tender/Charger laying around to keep the lawn mower battery charged.

The speakers are nothing more than GM OE removals, that I kept for years. I screwed them into some scrounged infinity boxes. hooked up a pair of old Pioneer tweeters with a inline choke, and finally the homade sub usually resides in the garage. Sometimes with the wifes permission it makes a trip into the living room, Where it pays homage to the mighty Klipsch's.

Nice to see another IB convert... mine should be up and running next

week... if only i'd have a little free time to hook everything up.

aka "theplummerco" or previously "champaign taste beer budget"

Unrelated... but what's up with that?

Greg's old username on the forums was "champaign taste beer budget" and he recently changed to "theplummerco" - he's posted a lot as the old name so I figured there would be some name recognition there.

Dr. Who,

Actually, after several hours of research, (on myself, no less), I admit, I used to lurk on this forum under another name,(of which I can't fully remember, maybe the name or the password, but I can assure your it's not Champaign taste on beer budget). I can confirm this because I've never lived in any other state other than Missouri.

Unfortunately, Klipsch member search sucks big time. I spent 4 hours researching what you have apparantly found errrounously to try to see if I had actually run under this name. I knew this site existed from before, but could not find my old sign in name. During my previous stint on this site, I also lurked on another forum for one of my other passions, boat racing, I flew under that name of the Miss Isle, on www.screamandfly.com There's no way I've posted over 1200 posts, even I am not that windy. Anyone here familair with Hydrostream boats will understand this insane passion.

I can remember that I got discouraged with internet forums with a guy called "Griffinator" on this forum and another on scream and fly. I left for a couple of years. I recently decided to re-incorporate my thoughts since I'm nearing the time to start my new home with a large HT. Thanks ot DR. Who for some of the best advise a person could ask for. He has seriously got his s***t together.

For a while, a few years ago, I got my first computer, ( I know, i'm in my mid thrity's and have just experienced the internet, what a half tard.) but, I was a police officer and used the internet extensively, but unfortunately, pay sucks and couldn't afford internet at home and found Klipsch.com on the company computer, only to discover that the Firewall installed was so good that I could not do anything but read. When I finally got a home computer with internet, I was confronted by hardasses that could not accept that XLR Cables are better than RCA Jacks. ( I'll not go any farther today). I got P.O.'d and quit for a while.

Well, I'm back, I'm no longer a cop, I own my own plumbing company. (I know what does one have to do with the other, Well, I'm still hearding turds.)

I have been a Klipscher since I've been in Junior high school. I found about Klipsch when my uncle that had been stationed in Germany in the early 70's left the Army and moved into my dad's rental next door to my house. When he left Germany, He shipped his Cornwall's by ship. Unfortunately they were destroyed during the shipping, ( and to this date, I have never seen nor heard a pair of them). He got some obsurdly low settlement from the U.S. govt. to cover his personal property. barely enough to purchase a pair of Heresy I's and a cheap scott receiver. During the time he lived next door, I came to appreciate Klipsch as the end all speaker in the world. I also learned who Pink Floyd, Supertram, Jethro Tull, and Mason Profit were.

Once I was out of high school, and earning enough money to think I was somebody, I went to the local Klipsch store, (No longer in business Flip's in St. Louis, MO). Cornwall's were no longer in production. The Chorus I's were newly introduced. I could not afford the Lascalla's, so I bought a pair of Oiled Oak Chorus's. (this was in the late 80's) I was using ADCOM power at the time. (remember 2 channel was all that was available at that time). I purchased an Ariston Icon turntable and an Ortofon Cartridge, I though I was on top of the world. Here comes CD. I then found a Yamaha 6+1 CD changer( of which I still own) and I was in business.

Along came Dolby pro logic. I was in. (this was the late 80's early 90's). I traded in my two channel ADCOM Preamp and Amp for a ADCom GTP-550 and GFA-6000 amp. I bout a pair of (newly introduced) Heresy II's in oiled OaK. I used the phantom mode on the preamp. that sucked. It wasn't long I was back to flips to purchase the newly introduced Academy. I found this to be the most Awsome speaker for the times. (Today's technology lends the Academy to lack in much of the sonic reproduction required by Dolby D and DTS) There still an awsome speaker, but once I purchased the Sunfire Theater Grand II and Signature series amp, I found the Academy to lack severly in the front soundstage. My attempts to fix the lacking base of the Academy lead me to purchase a SW10II. Helps a little, but not a end all fix.

I am currently in a holding pattern until I can start construction on the new home. Should be within the next year. Dr. Who has stepped in and has become instrumental in developing the whole house entertainment system. He's also helping currently with changing technology.

One thing that Dr. Who said to me when he was here was, " Wow, I've never seen a home theater with all matching speakers (there all oiled oak) turns out this has been a more rare finish option on Klipsch speakers than normal. I have purchased all of my speaker from new. I only wish my pocket book was deep enough to buy new Khorns and Belles to compliment this addiction that I have already succomed to, Oiled oak Khorn's and Belle's are a extremely rare find, IMHO.

Now that you've read my rambelings, I hope you've enjoyed my Autobiography with regards to my personal Klipsch Pilgrimage. And I will be assured to share my future experiences with my future HT all that will take the time to read.