question of setting between 20-39PC and RB-5

atom

hey guys:

i am quite new on this.

i ordered a new SVS 20-39PC into my system, RB-5, RC-3 and RS-3 Denon AVR-3801.

but really confused at the setting.

firstly, i set all speakers to small. but the low frequency send into sub make it sounds too strong compare with mains.

so i decide to setting large of RB-5. but now the beat from sub is not so clear. i cut sub at 50Hz, and volume at 4-5. the input is around +4db. cannot be better even after experience the around setting.

the manual of SVS recommand all speaker should get 75db, but in my denon, at -11db(-12 is the bottom), it can reach 75. and the sound is not so good. have to change the input to -4db and get 84db now.

and when i set by the SPL, i just only can set on 0 of volumn in my denon and just change my input level to get the target level, if i change the volumn knob, for instance to -2, after i quit, it will back to 0 again. do all receiver work in this way?

not sure how to setting it. i know i should have more experiment. but does anyone can give me some idea how to do it.

large or small of main, central, and surround?

what input level should be?

how to set the sub filter, ?Hz

does the phase funtion works, how?

thanks in advance

cwm41.gif

Atom,

Since nobody wants to answer your question I think I may help.I know the RB-5 and Denon 3801 since I have these components and I had the SVS Ultras on test(borrowed).

First the speakers(RB-5)should be positioned about 3 feet from the walls(back and side).All Klipsch speakers benefit from tilting(horn loaded designs do).

So tilt the RB-5's towars where you would sit.The tweeter should fire at right where you sit.

Now to your problem

The SVS sub(any sub)works well when placed alongside a wall.Not in corner(corner placement can boost bass in some places too much and in other places the bass is weak)but along side a wall.

Play some low bass tunes and move the sub untill the bass has power and definition.This done its time to set the 3801.

Now in the 3801 menu set the sourrounds and center to small.leave the mains(RB-5's)on large.Good

Now set the sub to -12dB.

Now exit the menu and play some more tunes you know with good bass(like the Eagles Hotel California).

Good, now begin to raise the sub level(press on the ENTER/SHIFT button,the on screen level apears),start at -12 and go up with the sub level.When you find the bass planty stop.Listen too much ...too little?Adjust if needed.

This should help you with the bass and overall sound quality.

Good luck

TheEAR(s) Now theears