SS .5 Sorround Speakers

Hagood

Okay, I thought I had made up my mine on the quintet system, but now I am more seriously looking at the System 6. I'm wondering about the bi-directional type sorround speakers like the SS.5 vs the more traditional styles. What are the pros and cons ? What about placement - is the distance from the corners of the walls critical ?

I myself have the system 6 setup. The ss.5's take some getting used to. The sound does not travel straight to your ears like a typical speakers does. They spread the sound out a little more. I enjoy them.

Know this about the setup, make sure you have your speakers set to small on your receiver.They cannot take the full range at high volumes. That is for movies though...the sb-1 will handle full range music very well, and very loud. At movies though...keep the bass down on these little speakers...the woofers will fail if you dont. I keep the bass tone control -5 for the left/right speakers. No problems at all. Now i listen to movies LOUD. My ears ring afterward.Not many people do...so im sure you wont have any problems.

------------------

Yamaha 595a

SB-1's (pair)

SC .5 (center)

SS.5's (pair, rear channels)

Polk PSW350 subwoofer

Toshiba Flatscreen 27" TV

Toshiba 3109 DVD player

This message has been edited by afraid on 11-02-2001 at 05:36 PM

Hagood:

The SS.5's are our entry level "Wide Dispersion Sound Technology" or "WDST" surround speakers. There are 2 horns, each radiating 90 degrees horizontally, added together covering a 180 degree field for good ambience. The controlled directivity of the horns coupled with the woofer also aim direct sounds properly at the main listening area. Because the ambient sounds are not dependent on sounds bouncing off of the wall (like bipolar and dipolar designs)they can be placed in several different positions in a room and work very well...therefore, giving great placement flexibiltiy.

Because they are speakers specifically designed for HT surround sound, they do have a wider sound than a normal speaker.

PhilH