All Heresy 5.1?

Bret

Seems alot of people mix and match the different Klipsch flavors but I am in the process of building my HT and thought I would go the all Heresy route. The room is 14x24 and I am planning on putting the fronts and center behind my screen with two others at the rear on wall mounts. Has anyone went this route using the sound "transparent" screens? Any issues with this? The receiver has an automated set up which is supposed to set audio levels and the like. Was hoping someone else here may have a similar setup. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hello, Bret! Welcome to the forum. I do not have exactly the same setup as you describe but even the THX company themselves state that each channel should have identical speakers for optimal performance. I've gotta believe that there's a lot of truth in what they say as their name alone stands for state-of-the-art sound. And, to use Heresey's in every location would be sweet, especially if they are the new Heresy IIIs. I own a pair and I am in love with them. Do you plan to use tube amplifacation or solid state? I have tubes running mine. Our theater has a mixture of RF-7s, RC-7 RS-7s, RCW-5's all driven wih solid state and an RSW-15 sub. Our room is much smaller (10-1/2x19) than what you are planning, but the sound is fantastic.

Your receiver sounds as if it's a Pioneer Elite with the MCACC circuit. Is that true? I have exactly that: A Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi and I can tell you that the MCACC circuit is all I use to set my room up. It does a perfect job in about 15 minutes and I just leave it alonie and enjoy. It's quite remarkable.

I own a Stewart GrayHawk screen. It is not a perforated screen. My center channel sits below the screen. I have heard perforated screens work well with speakers behind them, but if you are going to sit fairly close to it the perforations (tiny holes) that allow the sound through can be noticiable to your viewers and some find the video quality either inferior, distracting or both. You'll have to use your own judgment on that one. I recommend you visit a dealer and decide for yourself. Good luck planning your room! -Glenn

I have 5 Heresys and a decent sub in a room of roughly similar size. Works fine. My rear speakers are not on the back wall, but behind and pointed toward the seating area at the same level as the rest of the speakers. The three identical speakers in the front make for truly seamless panning.

As long as your screens are acoustically transparent you shouldn't have a problem.

Only caveat I have is to avoid mixing Heresys with K-52-H or K-53-K squawker drivers with ones with K-55-V drivers. They sound a little different and the difference is right in the range where your ear is the most sensitive. Its enough to annoy me although some others say they cannot hear a difference.

You might want to go with all Alnico, or all ferrite, magnets on the tweeters.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response. The receiver has not been purchased at this point. I was looking at one of the newer Yamaha AV Receivers but may have to look at the Pioneers now as well...

While the screen does have perforations, the consensus seems to be that they become invisible at approx.5-6 feet with this particular material. If you visit the AVScience forums, there is quite a lengthy thread on the material. It is actually a DIY screen which has worked out far better than anyone would have imagined. If you read the reviews, it appears to be as good as the higher end microperf screens. Just do a search for SmX...

Back to the Klipsch related questions, I was actually looking at purchasing 5 used Heresy II or even "plain old" Heresy due to budget constraints. Will this be an issue?

Bret

Heresy, Heresy II or Heresy III IMHO makes no difference, as long as you keep them all the same flavor. If you have a preference for the sound of one, go for it. Although I have Heresys, I don't really have a preference one way or the other. They all sound good, just a little different from each other.

Whichever you choose, you will need a good subwoofer. Heresy is 3 dB down by about 65 Hz. Heresy II and III are not much different. If you have really good hearing, the better high end response of a Heresy II or III could be to advantage. Of course, BEC's tweeter upgrade is an option for the Heresy.

Sounds good to me. Not everyone has or wants, big units like Khorns, La scala's, Belles, and even Cornwalls, size limits, wives don't want, cash flow reasons, so the next best route is Heresy's. Great speaker for it's overall size, nice, full sound, slightly thin in the lower end, not overpowering, an easier sell to the wife, and they really aren't bad looking, plus they are still Klipsch. People thought I was crazy buying H2's, but in the end, they were a good purchase for me. I use H2's upfront and main 2 channel speakers, and KG4's in the back channels, works for me, although, I would like 5 H2's for the Home theater, but I'll enjoy what I have. The main problem I find on this forum is that you read what others have, and it gets you wondering and figuring how to get those Khorns, or Belles, change your cross overs, MORE WATTS, new DVD player, trade in the SS for some Tubes, new CD player, or try a turntable,.......It never stops......May be I can sneak those Belles in the house, she'll never notice.....Yeah right!