Broken driver... does this matter?

Wow. Thanks for the info and pic. Who'd a thunk it? That baby must have taken some shot to break that.

Was there a "missing piece" inside the cabinet?

I'd be tempted to try to get the seller to replace it with a new / good one.

Here's hoping it all tuns out OK. [D]

Bill, read my post 783681 on page 1 for what probably happened. No piece inside. If you ever see one of these drivers, it actually doesn't seem like it would take that much at all to break this piece.

Alrighty.........

Which leads me to the cause of the damage as best I can tell (for those that care). As I said, it didn't look like anything was dropped. The cabinets shows no signs of dings and the driver and the other internal parts are all in perfect shape. But somebody at some point, installed the wrong sized bracket that holds the squawker up in the rear. So instead of the squawker/driver being centered in the rear of the cabinet, it was secured about 1/4" to one side. Given the almost zero clearance at the rear of the cabinet, this would be enough to crush that cap against the cabinet side and rear. Why somebody was in there in the first place, I'll never know.

PS. This was not the sellers fault. He only had the speakers a short time, knew very little about them and was selling them becuse he didn't like the way they sounded. Other than telling me they made a wonderful outward appearance, he made no claims about how they performed. In any event, a simple driver replacement should yield me an overall good find.

Sorry. I missed that one. [:$] I was distracted by all the pretty pictures....... [;)]