Broken driver... does this matter?

Inside my new to me Industrial La Scalas was this driver with a crack in the black cap on the back. Is this here going to be a problem? I haven't listened to them yet, I was taking a peek inside first.

I won't second-guess you on opening things up. Too late for that. Who can tell what that damage will do, from your picture? But I would do three things:

1) Put everything back together.

2) Listen to the speakers.

3) Ponder HOW such damage could have happened and where the PWK nameplate and piece of black cap went. After all, it was inside a sealed cabinet, wrapped in Fiberglas and trimmed in aluminum. (At least my LSI's are) That driver looks like it took a shot to the back. Who knows WHAT that did, inside.

If the speakers sound OK I have no idea what your recourse would be. If they don't..... I'd be talking with the seller. Anything else is pure conjecture.

Inside my new to me Industrial La Scalas was this driver with a crack in the black cap on the back. Is this here going to be a problem? I haven't listened to them yet, I was taking a peek inside first.

I won't second-guess you on opening things up. Too late for that. Who can tell what that damage will do, from your picture? But I would do three things:

1) Put everything back together.

2) Listen to the speakers.

3) Ponder HOW such damage could have happened and where the PWK nameplate and piece of black cap went. After all, it was inside a sealed cabinet, wrapped in Fiberglas and trimmed in aluminum. (At least my LSI's are) That driver looks like it took a shot to the back. Who knows WHAT that did, inside.

If the speakers sound OK I have no idea what your recourse would be. If they don't..... I'd be talking with the seller. Anything else is pure conjecture.

Anyone else?

Just looking to know if this cap should/can be repaired and what might it's purpose be?

I see it now...it is a missing section altogether

if anyone has replace a diaphram on one of these...chime in and let us know if this cap covers a vent plug, or an inverted diaphram dome like some of the JBL and altec diaphrams are setup.

Thank you, you all are great. The internals of the Top Hat are all in perfect shape. Tweeter, horn, crossover... in there tight as can be, nothing bent or damaged. The back of the driver is literally 1/32" from the back of the closed-in Top hat. The L-bracket holding the squawker is bent so something must have happened. The rest of the driver also appears in perfect shape.

There were some screws missing from the speaker connection cup which is the only reason I opened it up to begin with. When I see missing screws, I figure somebody has been in there.

scott0527--

That's an interesting driver. I've never seen terminals on a K-55-M like that before: note the double male terminal. I don't doubt that it's original; I've just never seen those terminals before. What year are your Industrial La Scalas?

Does anyone else have any information on these interesting K-55-M's, years used, etc.?

Thank you, you all are great. The internals of the Top Hat are all in perfect shape. Tweeter, horn, crossover... in there tight as can be, nothing bent or damaged. The back of the driver is literally 1/32" from the back of the closed-in Top hat. The L-bracket holding the squawker is bent so something must have happened. The rest of the driver also appears in perfect shape.

There were some screws missing from the speaker connection cup which is the only reason I opened it up to begin with. When I see missing screws, I figure somebody has been in there.

In 25+ years I have never had to open my LSI cabinets. The only thing I've had to do is replace a few fuses. I would bet you could drop those puppies off the back of a truck at 60 mph and the only thing that would need fixed is the road.

Just button things up, cross your fingers and give 'em a listen. I'd still give the seller a call and find out WTF happened. Sounds as if a cabinet was dropped. Of course, thay will tell you that was how they got them and they never had a problem.

I hope all is well. Let us know what BS the seller throws at ya.

Your LSI's will be cranking great music long after today's 'Plastic Fantastic' self-powered garbage is buried in landfills. Find a mint Crown DC-300 (with IOC), for a few hundred bucks, and you're set for life.

As Uncle Jethro sez, "It don't git inny better 'n 'at....." [&]

Well it's not going to hurt anything to plug them in and give them a listen. I can't imagine klipsch adding a plastic piece just for decoration so I kinda wonder why it's there.

No it doesn't hurt to hook them up however these Industrials aren't like regular La Scalas. Takes about 1/2 hour just to get them back together. You can't take the driver off of the without removing the the handle cup, the squawker bracket, then the motorboard.

Which leads me to the cause of the damage as best I can tell (for those that care). As I said, it didn't look like anything was dropped. The cabinets shows no signs of dings and the driver and the other internal parts are all in perfect shape. But somebody at some point, installed the wrong sized bracket that holds the squawker up in the rear. So instead of the squawker/driver being centered in the rear of the cabinet, it was secured about 1/4" to one side. Given the almost zero clearance at the rear of the cabinet, this would be enough to crush that cap against the cabinet side and rear. Why somebody was in there in the first place, I'll never know.

PS. This was not the sellers fault. He only had the speakers a short time, knew very little about them and was selling them becuse he didn't like the way they sounded. Other than telling me they made a wonderful outward appearance, he made no claims about how they performed. In any event, a simple driver replacement should yield me an overall good find.

The cap forms a rear air chamber for the driver, it should be sealed.

Thanks djk, "they" all said you would know. I did a temporary seal with some epoxy and other goodies I've picked up from the HVAC market. I hope to give them a listen this weekend.

I will be looking for a replacement in the meantime.

Scott here is a page from a Klipsch Brochure that I've posted before.

It shows the internal construction of a K55M and yes it is important that the back chamber maintains it's seal and internal volume from any repairs you might do.

If you do repair it and in the future would like to have it checked I would be Glad to test it with the ETF Program for you. Just let me know.....

mike[:)]

post-14473-138192983107_thumb.jpg

Wow, Duke Spinner posted.

Hey Tom, how was the vacation?

Mike, thanks that is great information. Based on seeing that, I think my repair might actually work. Thanks for the testing offer too. I'll probably still keep looking for a replacement just in case my patch and mold job doesn't hold.