using a florstanding speaker on it's side

dtel

One other thing you might consider would be to build an entirely new cabinet

Good Idea, but again NOT trivial. I am no expert woodworker, by ANY stretch of the imagination, and I do own a fair collection of tools, but you really need ALL the tools that are at a cabinet makers disposal if you want to do a decent job (i.e., square corners and all). Wood is expensive. The tools are expensive unless they can be justified over several projects. You WILL generate scrap (that is my way of rationalizing goofs). Another approach is to buy/start with a cabinet kit. The problem with that very few (any??) prepackaged kits will support the depth needed to house the squawker - I have looked! Another idea was to separate the horns from the woofer - with the horns above the screen and the woofer below. This had appeal on several levels because you could lineup all the drivers right down the center. The horns would need no sealed enclosure whatsoever and the woofer could remain coupled to the floor. I played with this idea, a lot actually, but felt separating the drivers too much had an adverse effect on presentation - this COULD have been all in my mind however. The Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet were the last generation of cabinets that are really built like tanks. I still believe you are best severed using Klipsch's engineering/manufacturing as a starting point for any project ... I just don't think you have much of a chance building a cabinet to the same standards. These are only MY ideas and opinions. They are only offered to make YOU think and NOT implying in anyway that there is not a better way that you can come up with ( I REALLY liked that idea of the horns mounted in a circle!! ). Keep the group updated.

We never really discussed creating the cut outs required for flush front mounting of the drivers. If I didn't re-use the original motorboard, I was thinking about contact cementing two different thicknesses of plywood together to create the motorboard. It seemed it would be MUCH easier to cut the respective required openings (for two different planes)into separate pieces of wood ( if that doesn't make any sense ... study how the motorboard exists now ... and it should )

One other thing you might consider would be to build an entirely new cabinet

Good Idea, but again NOT trivial. I am no expert woodworker, by ANY stretch of the imagination, and I do own a fair collection of tools, but you really need ALL the tools that are at a cabinet makers disposal if you want to do a decent job (i.e., square corners and all). Wood is expensive. The tools are expensive unless they can be justified over several projects. You WILL generate scrap (that is my way of rationalizing goofs). Another approach is to buy/start with a cabinet kit. The problem with that very few (any??) prepackaged kits will support the depth needed to house the squawker - I have looked! Another idea was to separate the horns from the woofer - with the horns above the screen and the woofer below. This had appeal on several levels because you could lineup all the drivers right down the center. The horns would need no sealed enclosure whatsoever and the woofer could remain coupled to the floor. I played with this idea, a lot actually, but felt separating the drivers too much had an adverse effect on presentation - this COULD have been all in my mind however. The Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet were the last generation of cabinets that are really built like tanks. I still believe you are best severed using Klipsch's engineering/manufacturing as a starting point for any project ... I just don't think you have much of a chance building a cabinet to the same standards. These are only MY ideas and opinions. They are only offered to make YOU think and NOT implying in anyway that there is not a better way that you can come up with ( I REALLY liked that idea of the horns mounted in a circle!! ). Keep the group updated.

We never really discussed creating the cut outs required for flush front mounting of the drivers. If I didn't re-use the original motorboard, I was thinking about contact cementing two different thicknesses of plywood together to create the motorboard. It seemed it would be MUCH easier to cut the respective required openings (for two different planes)into separate pieces of wood ( if that doesn't make any sense ... study how the motorboard exists now ... and it should )

Well if you don't have the means to build it yourself there is always the option of having it built for you...which is really only feasible if you can have a friend do it for you.

As far as the horns, they really need to be mounted in a cabinet and on a motorboard. No matter how well damped it is, that horn is going to vibrate and having it inside a cabinet will reduce the magnitude of those vibrations by 3dB at the listening position. The motorboard is also there to finish the flare on the speakers. Without it you get crazy diffraction which will throw off the polar response (and thus change the on-axis frequency response - conservation of power). And I can't see any advantage of seperating the MF/HF section from the LF section.