Newbie set-up help please! Can get surround sound....

gonnaluvit

Hi guys,

I want to thank those who helped me pick a receiver within my budget. I eneded up with the Pioneer 1015. I'm hoping you guys can help me again.

I set up my system but I'm not getting a true surround sound. All the speakers seem to be on the same channel, but their not. And the sound level isn't half what the standard stereo mode will do. My sub won't even work with the tuner or during a dvd. I have confirmed that this sub is working. Could it be my dvd palyer? My dvd player is one of those Radio Shack, RCA 300 watt surround sound systems. As you can tell, I upgraded the speakers! Now, I just run the movie through the Pioneer 1015 with the two rca plugs. Where is the surround sound that the RCA receiver had?

I suspected this DVD player had something to do the missing sound. I have another DVD player but for some reason I could get the audio to work. I swear I plugged those 2 audio plugs into everything in the back of that receiver and pushed every button. Any ideas why this might not work? Probably some setting on the receiver I cant find.

Also, when I turn on just the tuner, in standard stereo mode which powers only the the front rf-63's, the 63's are like twice and loud as when I turn all the speakers in another surround mode. I thought, more speakers = more sound, but with the just the 63's they go crazy, why is this?

Thanks guys for your help!

Hi, not being familar with one of those Radio Shack RCA 300 watt surround sound systems, does it have any digital audio pre-outputs to run to the Pioneer? - I'm thinking not, so I'd go ahead with that plan to x-out that DVDP, if you want to take full advantage of the DTS or Dolby Digital decoding that the Pioneer offers. Maybe that other player would funtion better with the new A/VR.

I'd also double read the Pioneers manual from front to back, to get a handle on all the menu and best connection options.

I don't know about Pioneer receivers, but if 5.1 is what your trying to get, I don't believe using one standard type RCA plug-ins will give you that effect. Does it have a Digital coax connection, or an Optical connection? Give them a try, I'm not sure where your problem lies, just giving you a place to start until a more Pioneer knowledgable member jumps in. Once you get it right you'll be happy. I have a Sony and for 6 months I couldn't get DTS to work, and 5.1 sounded like crap, finally broke down and bought Digital Coax cable, and everything is fine now, a cable unlocked a whole new world.

If the RCA has digital coax or optical, I am willing to bet that it is an input, not an output.

You need a new DVD player. Without a doubt. They are cheap these days. Use one of the cables mentioned (the red and white RCAs will not give you 5.1) and make sure you go through the set-up menu on the new DVD player, to enable 5.1 Dolby and dts.

As far as the other question, you are putting a larger load on your receiver when running it in surround mode. I suspect that is normal, but experiment with different surround modes, and you may have an improvement. Best advice though, listen to stereo in stereo and surround in surround.

There are 2 types of inputs on the Pioneer 1015. Digital inputs, and analog inputs. (There are also 6 Multi-channel In inputs for multi-channel analog input from SACD type players that support that. You don't have one of those.)

I don't know what that Radio Shack unit does internally to give you surround sound, but it doesn't sound like it has a digital output that you can feed to the Pioneer 1015 digital input to give you either DTS or Dolby Digital surround sound.

The Pioneer 1015 digital inputs are on the far left of the unit as you look at the back panel. Two are fiber optic inputs, and two are coax inputs. You feed the TV/Sat fiber to the one marked as such, and you feed the DVD/LD to the Coax one marked as such, if you have a digital output on that RatShack unit.

The Pioneer directions aren't perfect. They the typical Japanese short, concise, but not always user friendly directions, but they are correct and if followed they do work.

Also, you need to use the Pioneer 1015 settings to set the speakers properly and I set my sub to be ON all the time. Have you used the Auto-equalizer yet? I'm guessing not. Do that and it will immediately become clear if you have your speaker outputs connected correctly. Get the micropphone out and put it in the sweet spot and follow the directions (they are pretty simple) to do the auto-equalization exercise.

Go buy a DVD player that supports DTS, Dolby Digital, and SACD. You'll be stylin'!

Let me know how you are doing.

PS there is a great pic of the Pioneer backpanel on the website for the Pio 1015 @ http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209686388,00.html

Hey guys thanks a ton! I would of never knew what the Digital coax connection was for. My RCA receiver didn't have this, so I must of overlooked it all together. I was happy to see that my spare DVD player DID have the digital coax plug! I just hooked it up and am now living in true surround sound. Also, because of your guys' suggestions, I realized that my digital DVR box had the same connection. Wow, I never knew I could have surround from cable tv, what a difference. Thank you!!

A couple of little things:

1. I need to replace this spare DVD player soon, because it does this thing sometimes where the audio starts to lag behing whats actually happening. I have to stop and hit play to correct it. I'm looking for the best I can get for under $200. I need to play CD's too.

2. To the Pioneer user's what settings do you use to listen to your movies? I cannot figure out which one I like the best.

Gonnaluvit, you are gonnaluvit, but first takes some time to learn and get used to it.[:D]

I've got the 1015 and on true DTS, or Digital Dolby I just use the AutoSurround setting on the remote. The receiver senses the incoming signal and sets itself to the right setting. However, when I am listening to any stereo source, I hit first the Standard and then the ADVSurr button. Hit it once for movie or again for music, depending on the source material. Using Advsurr gives you the DPLIIX or whatever it is called, and it is a great way to listen to stereo signals with a surround sound like effect.

It's a great way to listen to my old vinyl.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to ask a stupid question... there's no such thing.