Computer to DAC question

How do I do this? Seems simple--

I want to hook up my computer to the Digital to Analog converter of my sound system--

Radio Shack sold me an adapter plug for the back of the computer and an RCA adapter plug for the coaxial RCA-in on the DAC, and told me I could use coaxial cable like I use for the cable TV. I skeptically said I'd try it, and it does not work. They had coaxial RCA cables there--should I have just gotten them?

Can I buy a long coaxial cable on-line that would have the correct ends so I can accomplish getting better sound from the computer?

How do I do this? Seems simple--

I want to hook up my computer to the Digital to Analog converter of my sound system--

Radio Shack sold me an adapter plug for the back of the computer and an RCA adapter plug for the coaxial RCA-in on the DAC, and told me I could use coaxial cable like I use for the cable TV. I skeptically said I'd try it, and it does not work. They had coaxial RCA cables there--should I have just gotten them?

Can I buy a long coaxial cable on-line that would have the correct ends so I can accomplish getting better sound from the computer?

sound card is defintely the focal point....don't bother with anolog to ditigal converters. if your sound card does not have optical or coaxial outputs to match the inputs on your amp you are better off chaning your sound card to a name brand one.

wait wait hold on guys....

Ok if you want to use the DAC most soundcards that enable digital out have a 3.5 mm stereo miniplug out or aka 1/8 ministereoplug. It looks like a headphone plug cause it is one.

Ok you got a 1/8 ministereoplug to rca converter, theryugobuddy? You can use any rca wire as there really is no difference between the sp/dif cable and standard rca cable except the sp/dif has a constant 75 ohm impedience. SP/DIF is also called sony philips digital interface fyi.

If what I think the Radio Shack guy sold you was the converter he is correct. Now you just have to connect it to the right socket. Which soundcard do you have? Some soundcards have a digital output socket or some share that with the line in and mic (creative [:@]) But then after you make sure you have the correct one, make sure you enabled the digital out, this is important since it will default send out analog.... or nothing at all if you did not enable the digital out!

You might also take a look into a USB DAC for your PC. All you'll need is the DAC and a USB cable. I'm not sure you even need a sound card for it to work, since you can output the digital signal to a USB device driver from most audio players like Winamp and iTunes.

Wavelength audio produces USB DACs, albiet very expensive ones. There are cheaper ones out there. However if this interests anyone you might read about Mr. Rankin's DACs and how to set up a computer to output to one here, http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/usbdac.html or just google the subject.

My dad and I just replaced a Wadia 861 with a Wavelength "Brick Silver" and an intel-powered Mac Book with very impressive results.

Thanks guys -- I discovered and bought a Hi-Fi Link USB plug and play converter and cables at CompUSA, which is a small silver converter that works quite well. Mainly , I liked that the cable that came with it is 30 ft long. Its basicallt a USB converter to two RCA cables. So I can't run it through the DAC--it goes right into the pre-amp. Not cheap at $49.95, but it fit the bill--no card or different plugs.adapters needed--

Sound is not spectacular at high levels, but at low volume, where it usually is, its ideal.

Funny, though, when its connected, all sound from the computer goes through my sound system--

Funny, though, when its connected, all sound from the computer goes through my sound system--

Yeah, that's one of the drawbacks. I have my comp hooked up to a reciever and a pair of RSX-5's all the time. The darn system sounds are way too loud if I have winamp playing on shuffle or something reasonably loud. I usually just disable the system sound settings in windows when I do that tho.

somehow within the first year of my owning my computer i permanantly disabled it, even if I turn it on there are no sounds.... I am not complaing though, how many times can you hear the boom error (its a boom on good speakers, squeek on a crappy one) or the windows login music, etc... I am perfectly fine. Now those damn ad on the internet with sound now....