Compare and contrast Cornwalls with the Chorus II

BS Button

lol - talk about a loaded question, so let me sum it up with three comments:

Identical high end

Chorus II = better midrange

Cornwall = fatter more pleasant bass (not necessarily more accurate)

When you get them side by side where you can AB between the two you'll

find that for every single album you'll find yourself preferring one

over the other. But since you're a bass freak I'm very much certain you

will find yourself preferring the cornwalls. If I could do it my way, I

would build a cornwall bass bin with the chorus II

squaker/tweeter...maybe even move to the newer tractrix tweeter that

klipsch came out with for the new heritage stuffs.

Chorus II = more accurate bass, but starts to roll off slightly a bit early...like around 50Hz it starts going down and then really turns the corner below 40Hz.

The cornwall is definetly exagerated bass, but on a lot of recordings the extra bloom sounds so much better - especially with rock and jazz.

The more 'accurate' midrange of the Chorus can be a bit harsh at times too - especially with poorer recordings (which is typical of the older rock).

If I were to cut it down to genre, I find that I prefer the chorus for female vocals and new age type stuff and prefer the cornwall for good 'ol rock n roll.

Chorus II = more accurate bass, but starts to roll off slightly a bit early...like around 50Hz it starts going down and then really turns the corner below 40Hz.

The cornwall is definetly exagerated bass, but on a lot of recordings the extra bloom sounds so much better - especially with rock and jazz.

The more 'accurate' midrange of the Chorus can be a bit harsh at times too - especially with poorer recordings (which is typical of the older rock).

If I were to cut it down to genre, I find that I prefer the chorus for female vocals and new age type stuff and prefer the cornwall for good 'ol rock n roll.

Ok, now the Chorus II midrange vs. the K401, this should be fun...

I concur with Who's first post., we had Who's Chorii here for a while right next to my CW's. It was neck and neck. Kind of like our LS/CW listening tests, it was a HUGE 'it depends'.

Never did the Chorus/LS test. My guess is that the Chorus would kill the LS on deep bass, and it would be more neck and neck in the mid department.

Kinda, sorta a three-way tie.

Now put something like the KLF30 or the CF4 in there just for fun! Now we've really got a listening showdown on our hands!

That's as close as I can get- heck collect em all, it's a set!

Michael

I definetly prefer the tractrix squaker of the Chorus II over the exponential K-401

The KLF-30 pretty much has the same MF/HF section but dual 12 inch drivers instead of a single 15 - so I'd anticipate it sounding even better, but apparently their cabinetry isn't as solid.

And Doc isn't a huge fan of the CF series....too "audiophile" sounding for me.

I think you're getting the hang of this Doc! Good 'speaker-speak' so to say. It's difficult boiling down the various characteristics of loudspeakers- you have a wonderful economy with words this weekend. Well put.

Michael- but I kinda did like those CF3's we had here. Never did the KLF30, did we?

Yes, I agree with you Michael. Doc's tempering that engineering mentality a bit. It's really just about opinions and preferences: but, and within the Klipsch family. Woodog asked me last night if I had considered any other speakers, but Klipsch. And I thought...wow, open mind there, but my answer was....ahem, NO. Doc, carry on with your analogy if you can think of anything more.

BS Button

Well, I must be one of the few people on this board who prefer the original Chorus to the Chorus II. I had both, and switched them back and forth between main/rears and ended up liking the the I's better than the II's. Just seemed like a more neutral, balanced speaker to me.

I think the Chorus is the most under-appreciated speaker Klipsch has ever manufactured.

Mike

The reason I like my CII's is because they cost me $150... [;)]

My original chorus II's cost me 1,800.00 and back in 1990 I thought i got a heck of a deal for those speakers.

No need to justify a great speaker for a measly 150.00. I would pay 1,800 for another new pair of chorus II's.