Klipsch RF-52 versus RB-61

Mildot

I purchased some Klipsch RSX-5 satellites and an RCX-4 center channel speaker and once I got them home and listened to them for a few days I decided I did not like them.

I am going to pick up some new speakers this week and have narrowed it down to either the RF-52 floorstanding or the RB-61 bookshelf with an RC-52 center. The RF-52 and RB-61 both sound great in the store but I am not sure which one to buy.

Has anyone done any serious listening between these two and formed an opinion? I will use them for 97% movies and 3% music. I will be powering them with a Denon 2106 receiver and they will be used in one room of my basement which is 24' x 28' and is wood paneled. I listen at pretty low levels and will be adding a SVS PB10NSD sub shortly.

I was not sure which speaker would blend the best with my environment and the sub. After buying speaker stands for the RB-61's the price difference between the two will be a wash.

Thanks, Mike

For movies you should always use floorstanding models as floorstanders have more efficency which leads to less distortion and louder capability and plus floorstanders always dig deeper

Well, the RF-52 is 1 db more efficent than the RB-61 (96 vs 95), but I just don't see that as making that much difference. The RF-52 does go 9hz deeper (34 vs 43) than the RB-61, & if I didn't have a couple of subs that might make a difference. What I do get with the RB-61's is more flexability in placement, & that does make a difference.

Thanks guys.

I purchased the RF-52's and the RC-52 today and will try them out over the weekend. They do not have the RF-62's in stock yet. I decided to go with the floorstanding models so I wouldn't have to mess with speaker stands again. If I feel the 52's are too small I will have them order the RF-62's and an RC-62 center and swap.

Thanks, Mike

Well I have about 3 hours on the new speakers and I like them. I am surprised at the amount of bass they have a lot more bass than the Paradigm Mini Monitors I used to have. They are much more efficient also. Now I am wondering if the RF-62's would be worth the extra cash. I called Klipsch today and spoke with a tech guy and he said the RC-52 would work fine with the RF-62's if I decided to go a size bigger with the mains. I like the smaller size of the RC-52 center but was worried about how it would match with bigger mains.

Mike

I decided to upgrade to the RF-62 mains and the RC-62 center. I am hoping this gives my sound a little more depth at the same low volume level I usually watch TV at. They should have the RF-62's in by Saturday and they stock the RC-62.

I had listened to Klipsch in the past but always thought the highs were too pronounced, but after using them at home I love that sound now. I have owned DCM QED's & Timewindows and the Paradigm Minis over the years and I think I found the sound I have been looking for.

I put on a Buddy Guy CD this weekend and turned it up a little and it blew me away.

Thanks, Mike