1972- good Khorn year?

Michael,

1972 was a poor year for the Khorn's, just ask around. In 74, Klipsch changed all the angles inside the bass bin, which smoothed out the frequency response and they started to use screws instead of nails for added strength. But I'd still be willing to make you an offer. Today is 4/1.

lol, you forgot about the move to new diaphragm materials in the squaker AND tweeter and a slightly different VC in the K33 - what was that, 73 and 74, I forget [;)]

Btw, Mike's gallery room is far from bright - it's one of the warmest, richest sounding rooms in his house. I love the sound of hardwood floors.

And actually 10 feet back in a 15 foot room is what I typically consider ideal (2/3 of the way back). It gets you out of the middle where all the crazy bass modes are happening and is far enough from the back wall that you don't get distracted by it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Doc. Indy was here and we noted that the very still plaster walls did not 'ping' as much as drywall does. I think standard drywall has that kind of resonant frequency between each stud cavity that becomes annoying. WIth these super stiff walls there seems to be no slapback echo at all. Plus the room is 8 x 15 x 20. I don't know how that works out in the room node calculators but it just sounds good. Even with the hardwood and all that glass.

Or is it just because it's a new acoustical space to me and it sounds good just because of it's novelty and that will wear off in time?

Time to hit the Archetictural Forum I think!

Michael

Thanks Doc. Indy was here and we noted that the very still plaster walls did not 'ping' as much as drywall does. I think standard drywall has that kind of resonant frequency between each stud cavity that becomes annoying. WIth these super stiff walls there seems to be no slapback echo at all. Plus the room is 8 x 15 x 20. I don't know how that works out in the room node calculators but it just sounds good. Even with the hardwood and all that glass.

Or is it just because it's a new acoustical space to me and it sounds good just because of it's novelty and that will wear off in time?

Time to hit the Archetictural Forum I think!

Michael

intresting. related to you comment about wall types, someone actually posted a graph based on wall types.

post-22082-13819301842422_thumb.gif

Ok, just for you I ran the numbers [;)]

Seems you've got VERY nice behavior above 150Hz and nothing serious

below it. There are two rough parts right around 100Hz, but your room models up very nicely.

I think the reason your gallery sounds so nice is that it has a very

flat reverb response - like it resonates equally at all frequencies -

not at just a few. If anything, the warmer frequencies are resonating a

bit more (like the lower mids). That would definetly explain why your

khorns didn't sound nice sitting in the middle of the room.

post-10350-13819301850346_thumb.gif

Doc, actual length is 21 feet. Can you recalculate for me and give more description on the readout and what it means? I know the little hash marks on the bottom coincide with the three room dimensions but don't know what I'm looking at or for.

Thanks

Michael

intresting. related to you comment about wall types, someone actually posted a graph based on wall types.

So stiffer walls near the horn portion of a Khorn = more LF gain, but a dropoff in the upper reaches of the horn? Is this all a good thing?

M

Here's the 21 foot version...though it's not going to make a huge difference.

As far as reading the output...basically you don't want them little hash marks along the bottom to overlap...and you want them to be as dense and evenly spread out as possible (which just isn't going to happen in the lower end of the response). Room modes that overlap will be larger in magntidue.

post-10350-13819301866114_thumb.gif