Where should I place my RS-35 ????????

nnnnny

surrounds are what they sound, they are supposed to surround you but not supposed to be behind you. The surround channel is designed to be on your exact or near exact left or right. Also it is advisable by most how to set up home theaters to put the surrounds two feet above your head as it is diffused and not direct sound. 7.1 and 6.1 are supposed to be the rear speakers. 6.1 have one center and 7.1 similar to your drawing but closer together. Oh and if your reciever has time correction, you should defintely delay your surround speakers as they are much closer to you than your mains as shown by your drawing

The advice above is correct. The Yamaha YPAO does a 'distance' calculation, which gives it the data to time correct or 'delay' the rear speakers so the sound from all arrives at your ear at the same time. I place the calibration mic on a large pillow propped up in my fave listening postion. Remember to start the YPAO and LEAVE THE ROOM, as your body might block some of the sound and alter the settings. Don't move around or make other noises either.

I'd move the sofa away from the rear wall a bit if possible, just so some of the sound from the RS can get around behind you. Maybe a sofa table behind or a 3' walkway, so long as it doens't have you too close to the screen.

Michael

Gentlemen,

I will show my ignorance and admit that I mounted my SS-3's in the rear. Seems they should be at my sides or the side of my listening position. Now this begs the question, what type of speakers should be in the rear for a 7.1 system? Would bookshelves or surrounds either one work or would one be better than the other. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm glad I didn't afix all my wires yet! More moving to do.

Thanks for the continuing answers you folks provide. It is enlightening.

thats quite alright, ignorance, no. It is more likely that the companies do not provide enough information and that they always default it to ask an installer aka $$$$. I will admit I have a promedia 5.1 system that i had the surrounds in the rear due to room configurations (hey its easier to have them on a drawer than on my bed) and it sounded fine.

As for the speakers for 7.1 I think the sides should be bookshelf and rears be wide dispersion but I am not sure, atleast if that was does not work, you can reverse it. Heck some people have 6 towers and a center......