Internet security necessary?

Speedball

Is Internet security really necessary ?

If you think so can you recommend one other than Norton ? Our subscription just ran out and if it's really necessary I will check into another one, hopefully no cost or low cost.

Thank You....!

there are three types of security items.

a. virus software. check with your ISP, many provide free virus software. it is in their best intrest to help you in this area.

b. spyware. microsoft offers free spyware software. there are others, but my take is that microsoft knows their operating systems and the potiential risks to them.

c. traffic management. this is either turning on your desktop firewall feature if you have XP, or enabling packet or stateful inspection on your router.

Speedball,

I am relatively new to the Net but I will tell you it is vital in my experiance. My new software Spy Detector has which has a free download to try out but won't let you delete what it finds unless you buy it, found some 1000 worms and their Register Cleaner found some 400 high risk files, made a beiever out of me! The Msn Spy Sweeper caught only 100 that was free!

Spy Detector and their Register Cleaner is highly recommended

The cost was 40$ for both and worth every penny!

SET12

Thanks for the replies guy's .............

Seems like the Anti-virus thing is pretty important. What kind of crazed idiot would want to cause problems with a virus anyway...[:^)]

EDITED :

Since we use DSL, Yahoo offers a FREE security system so I guess all is good again!

Speedball,

What I was getting at is I trust nothing that is free! Virtally every site I ever visted had some form of worm infestation on my machine or a file that watched where I went!

You can try the free Yahoo! But the Spy Detector may really suprize you!

As I said you can download a trial and just delete it afterward it will show you just what it finds, it was shocking! for me. Try the yahoo than Spy Detector, Spying is rampent and gets through many firewalls and virus protection and is not really a virus but it does bog down a machine making you think that DSL or Cable is an answer when it just speeds up the spying infestation! and does not take care of the issues in the first place!

SET12

Try this site, she reviews various free and pay software, I use AVG free anti-virus and Zone Alarms free firewall, I've been without problem for six months and they work better for me than the included Microsoft XP firewall and free anti-virus from Yahoo, I do use Yahoo anti-spy and pop-up blocker though along with Microsoft Defender and Spybot search and destroy on a regular basis. Best of luck! http://www.komando.com/downloads/

I use all free programs consisting of:

AVG anti virus scan

Tiny Firewall

Spybot search and destroy

Spywareblaster

Lavasoft Adware

AVG is my virus scan

Tiny is my firewall

Spybot is a spyware/adware remover

Spywareblaster has settings to deny alot of ads and to deny access to many questionable websites and illegal websites etc etc

Ad-ware is another spyware remover

Also I use Mozilla

• 3 weeks later...

A security system imo, isn't nessesary, if you watch where you go, and what you download you'll be perfectly fine. I just use windows firewall,(sp2, Corporate edition) adaware(rarley, and dont get traces of spyware/malware only cookies) and spywareS&D. Ive ran this for about 7-8 months and haven't gotten anything. I boot with around 23-24 processes.(msn included) But ive recently installed mcafee AV only cause i wanted to scan, and no viruses.

And i run FF.

"But ive recently installed mcafee AV only cause i wanted to scan, and no viruses."

if you really want to see if you have any viruses, download Mcafee's "stinger" utility.

Many viruses modify anti-virus software in such a way that detection is not possible.

The stinger utility is a self contained package with internal signatures which can detect viruses that change virus software componets.