TAD 2001 compression driver?

steamer

In my recent never ending search for more efficiency for my highs I have ran across a fork in the road.

I am very interested in the BMS 4592 coaxial driver that D-MAN uses.At 118db/1 watt it sounds like the perfect match for my Wavelength Gemini's and love of the 45 tube(2 watts).

Today I am at a fork in the road.I have the chance to buy a pair of TAD 2001 compression drivers which seem hard to find and I'm not sure if they are even made anymore.The efficiency of these drivers is at 109db not as high as I was looking for BUT...

These drivers are like the holy grail.Way over engineered for exceptional sound and I think the price is right at $350 ea.That sounds like alot but I dont know the price new.Is the price inline for used?This would completely consume my budget for this upgrade but also will bolt directly to my 511B's.The BMS drivers would cost about $400 ea plus I am looking at a different horn(price unknown?) to make them work.

Any thoughts would be apprciated.

Greg

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=1479&taxonomy_id=45-200

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it in writting that the diaphragms are in perfect operating condition. I believe they are *very* expensive to replace.

Also, aren't you crossing at 400hz? The TADs might not like going that low as well as the Altecs do.

Shawn

Get it in writting that the diaphragms are in perfect operating condition. I believe they are *very* expensive to replace. Also, aren't you crossing at 400hz? The TADs might not like going that low as well as the Altecs do. Shawn

Hi Shawn,

The TAD's are rated from 500hz to 22k with a recommended crossover at 800hz w/12db slpoe and 500hz w/24db slope.I would have to probably adjust my Rane up to 500hz.

This purchase would be from a reputable speaker dealer that has 4 pair used and he is guarrantying them.On the second pair he claims one has a blown diaphram.

Greg

Will they do 500hz?

Aside from the more-limited bandwidth, I would assume that the TAD's are better performers than the BMS drivers - based on their reputation. Just look at the price difference...

But you got to worry about blown diaphragms - if they blow easily, then perhaps they can't do 500Hz "well"... who knows? I'm just speculating...

If the price is not outrageous, I'd give the TAD's a shot first, BMS as an economical fall back.

Dana

I could possibly go with even steeper slopes of 48db per octive for added insurance.I think I would be afraid to stand on the system untill that point.98% of my listening is within a safe SPL range,just have to be cautious.

Anyone have a response chart for these?probably not with an Altec 511.

Greg

"But you got to worry about blown diaphragms - if they blow easily,"

I don't know if they blow easily or not. Just that the Beriliym (sp?) diaphragms are very expensive to replace. On the order of $400 or $500 each IIRC.

Shawn

Just got off the phone with Pioneer/TAD and they are telling me in my application 500hz is ok for a crossover point.This is looking better and better.

3db better than the 902's plus TAD sound,the remaining question is how are they gonna sound hooked up to my 511's

Greg

I have some expierence with the TAD 2001...you are really pushing it at xover of 500hz. the 4001 is safer. remember the Beryllium diaphram is very poisonus if blown. (by by daddy) The 4001 will make 500hz with out stress over time. And speaking of stress the 2001 is not that clean at 500hz xover point. Take my advice , play it safe. If you get that stuff in your lungs....Although the diaphram hase a gauss like coating on one side.. some could breake loose and get in the air. If you have family, and some child decides to crank it up .....well you know they dont thank like adults....Be is dangerous. JBL is now making Be diaphrams and coating with aquaplas. The Chinese also will be coming out with Be diaphrams A Be & aluminium alloy... mutch safer.... this year.

I have some expierence with the TAD 2001...you are really pushing it at xover of 500hz. the 4001 is safer. remember the Beryllium diaphram is very poisonus if blown. (by by daddy) The 4001 will make 500hz with out stress over time. And speaking of stress the 2001 is not that clean at 500hz xover point. Take my advice , play it safe. If you get that stuff in your lungs....Although the diaphram hase a gauss like coating on one side.. some could breake loose and get in the air. If you have family, and some child decides to crank it up .....well you know they dont thank like adults....Be is dangerous. JBL is now making Be diaphrams and coating with aquaplas. The Chinese also will be coming out with Be diaphrams A Be & aluminium alloy... mutch safer.... this year.

Thank you,

This info adds a different perspective for sure.I have not committed to them yet and wanted to hear others thoughts and expieriences with them.I dont feel like breathing anything poisonous due to my ignorance.Great post.

Greg

Beryllium drivers being dangerous is a new one for me. I see, through a cursory search, that there is indeed a hazard associated with this metal.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/beryllium/recognition.html [:o]

But from what I see it has to do with ultrafine dust in manufacturing facilities. How does a blown driver turn into ultrafine dust?

PWK tested the TAD and had one hit the phase plug, shatter, and turn to dust.

4001 is rated at 60W with a 650hz 12dB crossover.

So,do you think I could slam the diaphram into the phase plug at 2 watts max output?

LOL! That's what I was thinking also.

Didn't I read somewhere a while back that PWK used to use Crown amps on everything? If so, it's no wonder that he blew those TAD drivers and whatever else drivers he had laying around. [;)]