To amp or not?

I have a couple of questions.

I am currently using a pioneer reciever (vsx-d811s) with RF,RC,RS-35's & RSW-15. With this type of input would I even want to use an amp? I don't think it's a terrible receiver, but at the same time I realize there are much better out there.

The receiver states 100 watts/ch. However it does not state that all channels are driven which leads me to believe that it's only while 2ch are driven.

I keep all the speakers set as small because i think that is the best way to "conserve" the power the receiver acutally has and let the sub take over the lower end. With an amp I wouldn't have to do that and then i can run the sub as a "plus" with the fronts set as large.

I guess the question is do i even bother with an amp if i'm not "hearing" any distortion, and just not worry about it until I move to a larger house and need more out of the speakers?

Also wouldn't an amplifier tighten up the lower end of the front makign the bass (without the sub on) sound better?

Are there any way's to test to find out how much watts the receiver is actually pushing with all speakers driven?

Thanks for your input

If yer happy with it's performance, why spend the money?

Although, if you can get a decent used 5-channel seperate amp, at a good price, you might not regret it either.

I'd keep my eyes peeled for a while, since it's not a pinch decision.

What kind a dough you have laying around for this?

Hopefully, you'll never have to endure anywhere's near 100 watts be pushed [:'(]

I have a couple of questions.

I am currently using a pioneer reciever (vsx-d811s) with RF,RC,RS-35's & RSW-15.  With this type of input would I even want to use an amp?  I don't think it's a terrible receiver, but at the same time I realize there are much better out there.

The receiver states 100 watts/ch.  However it does not state that all channels are driven which leads me to believe that it's only while 2ch are driven.

I keep all the speakers set as small because i think that is the best way to "conserve" the power the receiver acutally has and let the sub take over the lower end.  With an amp I wouldn't have to do that and then i can run the sub as a "plus" with the fronts set as large.

I guess the question is do i even bother with an amp if i'm not "hearing" any distortion, and just not worry about it until I move to a larger house and need more out of the speakers? 

Also wouldn't an amplifier tighten up the lower end of the front makign the bass (without the sub on) sound better?

Are there any way's to test to find out how much watts the receiver is actually pushing with all speakers driven?

Thanks for your input

I currently have a high end reciever. I have been thru the "seperate componet" phase. I can't think of any reason to go out and buy a seperate amplifier.

• 4 months later...

Guess i'm back on this topic since i'm going to have some $ comming in after x-mas due to some side job work.

I know there is a lot of discussion on whether a hi-end receiver is better than seperates. To be perfectly honest i have NO intention of ever going out and getting a pre-amp, so i'll probably never (at least at this point) be fully into seperate components.

My budget is approximately $1,000.

I've been looking at a rotel 1075, and comparing to a pioneer elite receiver. Price is about the same for both and power is the same. I am thinking the rotel will probably dish out more "real" power, but as long as I have enough head room and no worries about clipping, then i dont really care how much power.

My thoughts on seperates would be that i don't have to buy a new hi-end receiver when the new decoding comes out. I could just buy a 1/2 way decent receiver (like the one i have) with pre-outs and then use a seperate amp for the power.

However if my thoughts behind just a "standard" best buy receiver with pre-outs is a bad idea then the hi-end reciever is the way to go (at least for me and my price range at this point in time).

If you have no problem driving your HT to levels (loudness vs distortion) that are acceptable to you and it (the receiver) is still decoding and doing everything you want it to do then stay where you are until the previous two conditions are not being met.

Sounds like you might want to tinker with having a seperate amp or pre-amp (or two) for just two channel listening and testing sound differences. If you really like any of these amps / pre amps you buy then start going down the separates route buying the stuff you have enjoyed listening to in the two channel setup.

• 3 months later...

After quite some time I tested a Rotel Rmb-1075 amp with my system.

The difference in sound was significant when going from having all the speakers set at small to having them set at large with the addition of the amp. My concern was that my receiver didn't have enough power to drive the speakers when set to large.

Anyhow, I definately noticed an improvement from running just off of the receiver. At our typical listening volumes there is only a minor improvement maybe a little "fuller" sound (although some of it may be hopful thinking). At loud volumes the difference becomes more apparent. Friends seem to notice the difference more than I do, however I think they are fooled by the difference in volume (I can go MUCH louder without worry of clipping). Typically when showing friends the addition of the amp i go to larger volumes.

I think the addition of the amp 1) gave me a better feeling, 2) at the volumes we "typically" listen to didn't add much value 3) gave me the ability to go to extreme volumes (when fiencee' isn't home). 4) added some "depth" to the fronts and took a little bit of the load off of the sub.

If anyone is in my boat, give some thought to what volumes your actually trying to achieve. We are in our first home, and plan to go bigger so the amp is more of a purchase for future benifit. Also we will consider kids in a year or so, and that will drastically hinder play $ so again while we feel the amp is only a minor improvement we feel it was worth the purchase