Quick question

Diggs

Is it better to turn the gain up all the way on your sub and set the output on your receiver as low as it will go and adjust it accordingly if its too strong/weak? Or to set your reciever to level (0) and adjust the gain on the sub accordingly? I read something in a post below about distortion and whatnot being introduced in option number 2. So I ask you guys since you obviously know more than I do.

Or option number 3, is this a dumb question? cwm13.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

To sum degree (yuck yuck) this will depend upon the electronics in the sub and the receiver. If the sub's gain stages are quieter than the receivers, you may find less hummmmmmmmmm or other noise coming from the sub if you reduce the gain at the receiver and increase it at the sub. Likewise, if the sub's got a noisey gain stage and the receiver is quieter, then boost the signal at the receiver and attenuate it with the sub's control. I'd try both ways and see which sounds better.

Also note that if you like to blow down walls with very loud sub-bass, you may find that the input headroom on the sub, or maximum output level on the receiver, will limit the volume level of non-distorted bass you can get. You may get more bass with less distortion by cranking up the output on the receiver, or you might find that cranking up the output on the receiver overloads the input stage of the sub, and distorts like crazy. Again, try and see.

See how helpful we all are? Question - "How do I do something?" Answer - "Gee, I dunno, try a bunch of different ways and let us know how it works."

Sounds like technical support at Micro$oft.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Thanks guys. I turned up the sub all the way through the reciever and turned back the gain a bit on the sub and it does sound better.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

This message has been edited by Diggs on 11-07-2001 at 06:45 PM