Some fresh, new RTA measurements of my system...

chops

I just got in my second Behringer ECM800 mic yesterday. I had one before, but sold it since I really didn't have a need for it. But now since I'm doing all of these modifications and stuff, I figured I should have one again.

Since my Rat Shack SPL meter seems to be the most accurate between 400 - 1000Hz, I chose to set the RTA level to 85dB, even to that of the SPL meter at 500Hz. The mic is connected to a dbx 760x fully balanced mic pre with +48V phantom power, then fed into my SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum's front control panel. From there, the stereo is fed a pure digital signal from the SPDIF output of the Audigy2.

Anyway, on with the plots... Enjoy! You'll have to pan back and forth to be able to see the entire plots. Please feel free to tell me your thoughts. [:)]

These first two are the full range of the Corns measured at 1 meter distance with Pink Noise without the sub. Each channel was measured separately with the other channel fully attenuated. All tone controls are bypassed as always.

Left Ch:

pink_left_1meter.jpg

Right Ch:

pink_right_1meter.jpg

For the rest of these plots, the mic was setup at the listening position at the seated ear level.

These first two plots were taken with Pink Noise with and without the subwoofer active.

Both Ch's without Sub:

pink_without_sub.jpg

Both Ch's with Sub:

pink_with_sub.jpg

These next two plots are taken with the "Quick Sweep" function, with and without the sub active.

Both Ch's without Sub:

sweep_without_sub.jpg

Both Ch's with Sub:

sweep_with_sub.jpg

These last two plots were taken with both channels driven with and without the sub. I started out at 100Hz and manually stepped down in frequency 1 click at a time until I reached 10Hz.

Both Ch's without Sub:

step_without_sub.jpg

Both Ch's with Sub:

step_with_sub.jpg

I just got in my second Behringer ECM800 mic yesterday. I had one before, but sold it since I really didn't have a need for it. But now since I'm doing all of these modifications and stuff, I figured I should have one again.

Since my Rat Shack SPL meter seems to be the most accurate between 400 - 1000Hz, I chose to set the RTA level to 85dB, even to that of the SPL meter at 500Hz. The mic is connected to a dbx 760x fully balanced mic pre with +48V phantom power, then fed into my SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum's front control panel. From there, the stereo is fed a pure digital signal from the SPDIF output of the Audigy2.

Anyway, on with the plots... Enjoy! You'll have to pan back and forth to be able to see the entire plots. Please feel free to tell me your thoughts. [:)]

These first two are the full range of the Corns measured at 1 meter distance with Pink Noise without the sub. Each channel was measured separately with the other channel fully attenuated. All tone controls are bypassed as always.

Left Ch:

pink_left_1meter.jpg

Right Ch:

pink_right_1meter.jpg

For the rest of these plots, the mic was setup at the listening position at the seated ear level.

These first two plots were taken with Pink Noise with and without the subwoofer active.

Both Ch's without Sub:

pink_without_sub.jpg

Both Ch's with Sub:

pink_with_sub.jpg

These next two plots are taken with the "Quick Sweep" function, with and without the sub active.

Both Ch's without Sub:

sweep_without_sub.jpg

Both Ch's with Sub:

sweep_with_sub.jpg

These last two plots were taken with both channels driven with and without the sub. I started out at 100Hz and manually stepped down in frequency 1 click at a time until I reached 10Hz.

Both Ch's without Sub:

step_without_sub.jpg

Both Ch's with Sub:

step_with_sub.jpg

I was wondering what you have been up to....

Yep! I also forgot one picture. Here's a pic of the mic pre and TrueRTA up and running. I had the Klipsch forum up on the other screen, but that was boring looking compared to the wallpaper on the desktops. [:P]

BTW, that is a professional model/body builder that I'm good friends with. I'm working on designing her a website as we speak. hubba, hubba! LOL [;)]

computer.jpg

Chops,

That is some pretty good response,wish I could measure my system to see where I am at!

Greg

Well, bring your system over sometime and I'll measure it for you. LOL

You can measure your system. All you need is the TrueRTA software, a Behringer ECM800 calibration mic and either a mic preamp or small mixer with +9 to +48V phantom power. Oh, and it helps to have a somewhat decent soundcard in your computer. [;)]

Well I would be interested in a higher resolution scale if it's not too much of a hassle. I'm actually interested in the raw response of your sub only too.

Your response is actually quite interesting and I think you've got a beneficial phase cancellation thing going on.

And does the TrueRTA program measure THD as well? Usually these programs do, but I've not played with this one. The reason I ask is that the response measured from 30-10Hz for the cornwall without a sub doesn't make sense. Are you perhaps hitting the noisefloor of your room? What volume were you doing these measurements at?

And are you moving the mic around when switching around? It doesn't make sense why adding a subwoofer introduces a 3/4 octave wide 20dB change centered around 150Hz.

I hope you don't mind me trying to interpret your graphs...phase and time information would be beneficial, but this is definetly a much better start that just using your ears or a ratshack meter [:)]

Chops,

That is some pretty good response,wish I could measure my system to see where I am at!

Greg

Well, bring your system over sometime and I'll measure it for you. LOL

You can measure your system. All you need is the TrueRTA software, a Behringer ECM800 calibration mic and either a mic preamp or small mixer with +9 to +48V phantom power. Oh, and it helps to have a somewhat decent soundcard in your computer. [;)]

Roadtrip?

I need to look into the equip.to measure.

Greg

Well I would be interested in a higher resolution scale if it's not too much of a hassle. I'm actually interested in the raw response of your sub only too.

Your response is actually quite interesting and I think you've got a beneficial phase cancellation thing going on.

And does the TrueRTA program measure THD as well? Usually these programs do, but I've not played with this one. The reason I ask is that the response measured from 30-10Hz for the cornwall without a sub doesn't make sense. Are you perhaps hitting the noisefloor of your room? What volume were you doing these measurements at?

And are you moving the mic around when switching around? It doesn't make sense why adding a subwoofer introduces a 3/4 octave wide 20dB change centered around 150Hz.

I hope you don't mind me trying to interpret your graphs...phase and time information would be beneficial, but this is definetly a much better start that just using your ears or a ratshack meter [:)]

Gee.... picky picky... LOL

Just to let you know, I'm in the process of running a few more plots at higher resolutions.

The noisefloor in generally between 40-50dB, so I doubt that was messing with the measurements. The thing that's confusing me right now is the subwoofer plot with pink noise by itself. I'm not going to say anymore about it right now though until I do a couple more measurements. However, I might also have a theory about what's going on with it. We'll see in a few.

As for adding the sub into the mix, all of those tests with both Cornwalls playing, the mic was set up at "seated" ear level at my listening position. Whether the sub was turned on or not, the mic position never changed. The only time I moved the mic was when I did the two 1 meter measurements on the Cornwalls.

Also, I'll take a couple pics of the mic in the different locations.

I would be a lot more interested in the curves in the left monitor myself those are far more natural and realistic looking- bet they sound great! Chops, we have got to get together.[:P]

LOL... I'll say they are! [:P]

Yeah, I think it would be pretty neat to have a couple of fellow Klipsch owners over for a visit. We'll have to do that one of these days! [;)]

Well DrWho, here's a few pics of mic placement...

1 Meter:

mic1.jpg

1 Meter:

mic2.jpg

Listening Position @ seated ear level:

mic3.jpg

And here's the two most important plots you were asking for...

Cornwall Fullrange - 1 Meter - Quick Sweep - HiRes:

quicksweep_left.jpg

Sub Only - 1 Meter - HiRes:

quicksweep_sub_1m_HiRes.jpg

This is the same Sub plot as above, but displayed all the way up to 20kHz:

quicksweep_sub_1m.jpg

If you want to view ALL of the plots taken yesterday and today, go to my website and check them all out. The ones from today start with the last thumbnail on the second row, named "Fullrange Pink Noise - Sub".

Here's the link to the page. Be sure to scroll all the way down to get to the second gallery...

http://chops.tzo.com/subproject.htm