Phenolic -vs- Titanium

RAD

Just wanted to get some of your opinions on whether or not there is any inherent benefit in using phenolic or titanium diaphrams. Is one "better" then the other? I have heard both types and sure can't tell one from the other just by listening. Any thoughts?

RAD,

I came across some comments last month (re titanium and phenolic) here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=1794531&highlight=titanium#post1794531

Note posts #40 by 'Flatlander' and posts #41 and #48 by 'Ethos' (with some images of diaphram break-up)

I have NO idea if these guys remarks are accurate or applicable to the usage in Klipsch.

Mark

Just wanted to get some of your opinions on whether or not there is any inherent benefit in using phenolic or titanium diaphrams.  Is one "better" then the other?   I have heard both types and sure can't tell one from the other just by listening.   Any thoughts?

mid driver. hard to beat the smoothness of a phenolic on the lower end of the mid-range band.

High frequency driver, upper mid driver. hard to beat the detail and imaging of a titanium.

Horns close the gap between the two, with the exception that phenolic's reach at least one, and in some case two octaves lower than titanium diaphrams do at simular price points.

Atlas puts the pd-5hv mid driver at 140hz - 4100hz. A hard act for a titanium to follow. Especially at 119 bucks per driver.

Many tweeters can be loaded with phenolic or titanium.

Just as a matter of taste, I too think that a phenolic diaphragm on the midrange is better. The JBL 2404H tweeter with an aluminum diaphragm is hard to beat, too. I think I read somewhere about people being able to tell if a tweeter is titanium or not. I don't know.

I found that the JBL tweet sounded "metalic" at first, but then didn't after a "break-in" period (I'll leave that one to you).

Phenolic is the "vintage" sound of horns. But it is just a preference.

DM

You are right Dana. BIG difference with the 2404 after break in. I have had a few pair now and have actually cringed sometimes within the first 15-20 hours or so. Can't imagine how they would be to someone with halfway decent high frequency hearing. Then voila! The starch comes out of them and they smooth out quite nicely.