Which one? rsw-12 or svs 20-39???

feersum dreadnot

Textf>

I need some sage advice from the klipschites...

It is time to add a subwoofer to the current array, which includes a yamaha rxv-995, fortes, sv-2 center and kg.5 rears.

I am considering the rsw-12 or a pair of svs 20-39s. I have an old (circa 1986) Adcom GFA-1A 200 w/ch amp I could run the SVS tubes with, although I might have to add an equalizer to control the volume through (I'll bother "TV" once if I settle on the SVSs).

My listening room is ~13' x 19'

I want the sub to add oomph to HT, as the fortes are still nirvana for 2 channel music.

so, what is the best use of my ~$1100 (or so), new tube subs with an old amp, or a new in box klipsch box with onboard amp?

a follow on question - I also plan to upgrade the rears and center in the immediate future.

the wife would prefer "in-wall" rears - how would using RCW-5s compare to the RS-7?

and would the RC-7 be a good center match for the fortes?

thanks,

I think you's be happy with either option. Tom Nousaine reviewed the 20-39 and found it to hit 109.5dB(25-63hz)...a pair would be in the 115dB range across that span(measured in a 7500 cu-ft room,2 meters from the sub,using a 10% thd limit). In my(biased)opinion...that's going to be tough to approach for the cost.($1199 with 700w amp) $898 if you use your own amp.

TV

Both will(sould as I did not listen to the RSW series)do a good job.

I can tell you the SVS has better deep bass,the RSW should have a very high output down to 30Hz.The SVS has very strong output another 5-10Hz down the line!

You decide,if youn want all Klipsch the RSW should fit the bill.If you want musical I think the SVS may take the cake.

TheEAR(s) Now theears