Possible sale of Welborne DRD45s in the next couple months......................................

Cut-Throat

I just ordered a Welborne StarChief 45 amp kit, that is basically a modifed DRD45 amp. The DRD45 amps are the best I've ever heard and I will only give them up for another amp of the same genre. (I also own 2A3 Moondogs)

If you are shopping for 45 monoblocks in the near future (This late summer) , keep these in mind. These amps are pristine. With the Ultimate Parts kit and African Paduak Wood finished with 5 coats of hand rubbed Tung Oil. Better than factory built as I built it with 'Concern' for every solder joint and attention to the minutest detail.

I use them on my modified Khorns with Altec midrange. I am listening to them right now and they are superb. But I admit, I do have the 'audiophile' disease and have succumbed to the urge to build another amplifier.

I often hear, 'if I would have known you were going to sell these, I would not have bought XXX, why didn't you tell me you were going to sell these'. So If you are interested, send me an e-mail (kdbmeb@gmail.com)and I'll give you first right of refusal. I will be selling these for $1250 and that will include a pair of 45 National Union NOS Tubes that have less than 10 hours on them. Some of the finest 45 tubes around. The TJ Meshplates shown will be moved to the new Welborne 45s.

45AmpsHome.jpg

Beautiful amps and an excellent offer!!!

After the glowing review of the StarChief I can understand the desire to....upgrade(?). But then the gentleman in question also ordered the silver trannies. I am looking forward to your review (half dreading it [:D]). So please keep us posted.

BTW: have you ever tried the EML 45s? I first tried the mesh plates but they hummed far too much in my amps. The solid plates are much better in that respect and quite a few people seem to prefer them to vintage 45s. I admit they are my main 45 tube too but then there is still something special in the more traditional(?) sound of those vinage tubes - hence they get a spin every now and then as well.

Wolfram

Beautiful amps and an excellent offer!!!

After the glowing review of the StarChief I can understand the desire to....upgrade(?). But then the gentleman in question also ordered the silver trannies. I am looking forward to your review (half dreading it [:D]). So please keep us posted.

BTW: have you ever tried the EML 45s? I first tried the mesh plates but they hummed far too much in my amps. The solid plates are much better in that respect and quite a few people seem to prefer them to vintage 45s. I admit they are my main 45 tube too but then there is still something special in the more traditional(?) sound of those vinage tubes - hence they get a spin every now and then as well.

Wolfram

I have never tried the EML 45s, but oddly enough I just ordered a pair of the EML solid plate 45s today. I am not expecting that much, as I am usually underwhelmed at these sort of 'upgrades'.

Also, I would imagine that a Silver wound trannie would be impossible to pick out in a blind test against the standard electraprint. And for $2,000 that is a little too steep for a mostly inaudible upgrade.

• 3 years later...

hi Cut

just gone throw your post ( I am new here) and see you are quite familiar with Welb LAb's.

by the way congratulation of your Laurel's buy - just a perfect deal ,I wish myself to get symiliar .

anyway, I just bought drd 300b and hunting for drd 45 as well - not easy in UK ,believe me.

personally I use Yammy A-08s at the moment which I love ,but I like to try full Ron based set with 300 on the bass and 45 in HF ,and activelly crossed.

at the moment I use all of them with passive x overwith my Tad based clones (TAD 2001 +Sierra Brooks TT Hornon HF and Altec 416 bass unit in custom built cabinets ,basically set on onken pettite schedule :-)

I dream to get a pair of terraplanes and star chiefs in the future +matched UP BP ,all bubinga enclosured ,but until that I need to put my drd's in nicer couple of boxes and enjoy listening.

Well ,it was long ,I know ,hope you not bored yet.

I like to ask you if you compared star chiefs with yammy ever?

Also all you can write me about welborne amps will be trully approciate.

Actually you are anly one person I spot who own all of them (from 45 to 300B ) so your commentary is really interesting for me .

txs a lot

and hear soon from you .

greg

Greg,

I did sell the Welborne DRD45s and still have the Star Chiefs. Actually sonically, I don't think I could tell the difference between the DRD45s and the Starchiefs.

I have never heard the Yammy 08s, but I have heard very good things about them. If you would search the archives over at Audio Asylum (SET forum) you will probably get quite a few comparisons on these amps.

I enjoy all 3 of my Welborne Amps. For Serious listening I prefer the 45, then the 2a3 slightly over the 300bs. If someone wants to come over and rock the house with LOUD music, I would turn on the 300bs. The Laurel amps were a great deal. I got them for $750 and they came with a pair of Western Electric 300b tubes that I just sold for $1800 - So I got free amps and a tidy profit.

You seem to be very good at searching archives, Go to Audio Asylum and you will have enough reading material for a month.

Good Luck

txs mate

it's nice to hear that there is not a big diff. if ever between chiefs and drd's.

that makes things simplier.

I see you like this triodes exactly in the same order as I do. ;-)

thanks for your comments and archieve sugestions to explore .

and ,of course I am interested in any further experience you can provide.

greg

ps.if you ever will think about giving up with your S.chiefs ,please let me know