50 Albums that changed music

Daddy Dee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say, the Yardbirds were very important as a group and some of their songs were good, real good, but musically did not change anything, at best they helped bring the Guitar out front and in a couple of cases, In your face."Shape of Things", Jeff Beck Group with Rod the Mod covered that better. I refer to the Yardbird Guys all the time, Guitarist's that is, because they went on to bigger and better things in their careers, and I mean No Disrespect to the band, or fans of, I just agree they don't belong on THAT list............... The Train KEEPS a Rollin'.........indeed..................

KICK OUT THE JAMS......................now your reaching back there, important album but doesn't belong on the list that this thread is about........................Great album none the less..... The Motor City's Burning..................

Atleast they got OTIS REDDING, ARETHA FRANKLIN, and the Baddest Brother in the Land ,MR. JAMES BROWN, now that's TALENT..........................

Just watched those Jimmy Page clips and low and behold there it is, that Metal Sound, A GIBSON through a stack of MARSHALL's, at the New York Stock Exchange, God Damn Man, Rock Music HAS Come along Way.......................Mellow is the Man that knows what he's been missing........................

KICK OUT THE JAMS......................now your reaching back there,

important album but doesn't belong on the list that this thread is

about.........

Are you sure? See what the list says,

17 The Stooges

Raw Power (1973)

Produced by David Bowie, who also helped re-form the band, Raw Power was the

Stooges's late swansong, and their most influential album. The Detroit group

were already legendary for incendiary live shows and first two albums, but Raw

Power, though selling as poorly as its predecessors, was subsequently cited as a

prime influence by virtually every group in the British punk scene.

Without this ... no punk, so no Sex Pistols (who covered 'No Fun'); no

White Stripes.

SOH

I suspect Iggy Pop being part of the Stooges also had something to do

with their showing up on the list, but Kick Out The Jams came out in

My point is that some groups that show up have less to do with

influencing a genre, through originality and creativity, versus

popularizing it to the mainstream. And to a British

audience, to take it one step

further. Then they go on to cite other copycat groups who

were influenced.

However, judging that they included The Spice Girls at #21, but didn't mention

Bananarama who preceded them by 10 years, I don't necessarily interpret

this entirely as a British vs. U.S. thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revisionist_history

What is the real value of MC5, power filled protest songs? Already been done........................I don't think it is a U.S. vs British thing either............but, think about the British Invasion, if you will, They brought back to us music that we had here and never really listened to, the BLUES, for what ever reasons, Devil's Music, Black Music..................Bottom Line it's just a list, some will agree, some will argue, everyone has their own take on it, and the fact that we are writing about it right now is a GOOD thing.......................Lists never satisfy everyone.................

What is the real value of MC5, power filled protest songs? Already been done........................

The list implies punk rock started in the 1970s. I was saying it

really started in the 60s. You're saying it began earlier?

Undoubtedly, there's much to dislike about lists.

Stephen Stills and your footer say it best. Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.

50 albums that changed music

Fifty

years old this month, the album chart has tracked the history of pop.

But only a select few records have actually altered the course of music.....

Detroit rock, the same as The Stooges. One made the list, the other didn't.

The Stooges were on the scene before the MC5, they led the way not the MC5. No band was doing what Iggy and the boys were, they opened the door, the MC5 were years behind Blue Cheer, and those type bands. Neither band had THE big album until Fun House........................That is just my view on it, you want to talk Detroit Rock, Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band, or Ted Nugent................Opinions are like noses, we all have them, but it's still fun to talk about......eh.....[;)]

Fun House mattered, Kick Out the Jams did not, It's not my list, if you really want the truth, they both sucked, but the Stooges Fun House inspired bands of the Punk movement, Who did the MC5 inspire? It's just a list, it's neither right or wrong, it's only Rock n' Roll........................

The Real Godfathers of Punk

The last cut on Kick Out The Jams, Starship, was actually written by Sun Ra.

Getting interesting yet?. .

Again I say to you; That is one man's opinion, doesn't mean it's right, doesn't mean it's wrong, it gives you something to talk about, because artist's took other peoples music and put their signature on it, that's why they're NOT on the list........this is becoming pointless, the Stooges are on the list, the MC5 aren't, nothing we say is going to change the list, Music is always interesting to me, bantering back and forth about something we can't change is unproductive to the thread.

Wow, an incredible list. I am shocked not only at how many artists I dont know, but also at the omission of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Woodstock. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Not only did the album and movie document a seminal event in American liberalism and popular music, it also etched the event in our memories as the turning point, not only for one type of music, but several types of music all at the same time. Most of the artists there remain popular for decades. Many of the artists that were not already famous, including Hendrix and CSNY, became household names after their inspired performances.

The list seems to be more about the influences of popular music, rather than the change the artist wrought upon the genre. In this regard, Glen Miller, touring with huge brass and woodwind orchestra and Jimi Hendrix, making the new fangled electric guitar do wonderful things nobody ever heard of, pop instantly to mind.

No Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Janis Joplin, incarnations of Eric Clapton or Moody Blues? They didnt have massive influence on modern rock? [H]

Some more food for thought on how the selections with this list have been distributed over the years,

50s - 3

60s - 12

70s - 32

80s - 10

90s - 7

00s - 1

From this, one might infer music was most altered during the

1970s. Just a guess, if randomly polled on the street when most

of the change occurred over the past 50 years, the answer would be from

the 1950s thru the 60s. .?