Way OT.......ribbon cable

Sid

Ok, I'm stumped on this one. What I'm trying to do is lengthen a 8 wire ribbon cable. Because of the way the cable attaches to the sensors at the ends I have to cut the cable in the middle and add a section. Do they make any kind of connectors for this. It can be funky, joint will be hidden, just has to work......Anyone???

Hardware store connectors will not work. The correct connectors will require an expensive tool.

I would just cut every other wire somewhere convenient, move back another inch and cut the other wires. Strip back 3/8" and twist together and solder (or tin, bend a hook in both wire ends, and solder). The splices will be staggered, so you can just wrap tape around the whole joint.

Sid,

I guess the first question is are these for IR controllers or is this a flat wire for something else? Without knowing that or your skill level it's a bit difficult to give a better answer. Presuming they are for an IR flasher, and not a large gauge interconnect or speaker wire (like a Nordost type) and if you are handy at soldering, you might try some 8-pin printer connectors on each end of the cut and a (as long a length as you can find or need) printer ribbon cable for you middle extension, since they have screws attached you can put them together and not worry about them pulling apart. Or if you know some one handy in installing computer networking, you might be able to try 8 pin RJ-45 extenders and use 8-wire CAT as your middle splice.

Hope this helps.

This is flat wire. On one end there is a collar with a sensor inside that clamps onto a hydraulic cylinder attached to a trim tab on a boat. On the other end is a small panel with two rows of led's that light up in relationship to the position of the trim tab. I don't think sensitivity is an issue. I was hoping for some type of male-female connectors. The soldering would work if all else fails....