80 wpc amp worth the time and money?

xdetroitx

I am looking to help my rf-82s with some extra power. I have run across a Denon 2 channel amp that is 80wpc. My receiver is already claiming 110. Would this be an upgrade since I hear amps have a better power source and make the speaker sound better than a receiver could? Speaking of a Yamaha reciever.

"amps have a better power source and make the speaker sound better than a receiver could"

This is less true today than it was in the 70's and 80's.

Denon certainly makes natural sounding amps. But a Yamaha reciever, like many others, have surround modes that will not exist in an intergreated amp.

Also, depending on the age of the 2 channel amp, there is a gradual decay in performance as the capacitors age.

The older amp might have heavier power supply which might give a bit more 'balls' than the stated wattage. Also might have better damping factor which helps.

At any rate, taking some of the load off of the HT receiver's power supply would help it to breath a bit easier.

Why not try it? If you don't like the results you can swap back. I'd maybe give it the two rear speakers if you have pre outs, that way your three fronts would be the same power.

Michael

From what I gather I think I will just put the money away for a 7 channel amp. My goal is to get a 7 channel bridgeable amp and bridge 4 channels for my mains and use my receiver for my two back channels. With that upgrade I plan on picking up a set of rf-7s and moving my rf-82s to the surround spot. Of course this is pending money and future wifes approval. Thanks for the input.

I am looking to help my rf-82s with some extra power. I have run across a Denon 2 channel amp that is 80wpc. My receiver is already claiming 110. Would this be an upgrade since I hear amps have a better power source and make the speaker sound better than a receiver could? Speaking of a Yamaha reciever.

Not sure how much it would help. More clean power to the speakers is always desireable, but the current line of Yammie receivers already offer very good power, (high current, clean, and low distortion), at almost all volume ranges in their products.

xdetroitx:

Wise decision to hold off on your purchase. Having owned RF-3s (one of the predecessors to RF-82s), they were not really all that difficult to drive.

On the other hand.....since you plan on going with RF-7s in the future - different story. Different story. Low impedance dips and can be demanding (for music) on an amp. My journey with RF-7s led me to a number of different amps.

I would wait until you pick up RF-7s and then reevaluate.

Carl.

I wouldn't recommend bridging any kind of amplifier for your front mains. Ya, it gives you more power, but it also doubles the distortion and cuts the damping in half. It will also further increase the negative effects of the low impedance dips in the speaker.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but more watts doesn't always mean better sound.

If you're looking for a lot of power without breaking the bank, then I would recommend checking out some pro amps. Clean solid power without the expensive pretty packaging. I believe the QSC PLX amps are very popular around these parts and I am a huge fan of the Crown K and D series.