Carver Silver 7t's - Opinions?

fgarib

Hi there,

A pair of Carver Silver 7T's, apparently in pristene condition is up for sale here in Pakistan for the equivalent of about $900.

I tried looking this particular amp up on the net for reviews just to get a feel for them, but was surprisingly not able to get any sort of consensus, aside from the fact that they're ugly mothers.

Any experience on this forum with these amps? Was planning on running KG's with them, but might eventually run them on JM Labs Electras that I'm planning on buying.

This is the non tubed version, btw... monoblocks. 575 watts each. Beasts, apparently.

Please help with views, as time is short. Thanks guys,

Fauzi

I used a pair for awhile with original series B&W 801f speakers. For driving very inefficient, insensitive, difficult to drive speakers the Carers worked quite well. I never tried them on Klipsch, but on speakers that were much more efficient than the B&W's (VMPS Supertower II A/R se) they sounded poor to fair - steely, grainy, thin at lower volumes. Think they'd be a pretty bad match with any Heritage series Klipsch.

the tubed version seems to have quite a following but the SS version not, I think this incorporated circuitry that bob carver invented that simulated tube sound, not too well from the sound of naysayers. I think a big honkin used bryston would be a better choice in high powered SS at that price level. regards, tony

I've owned two Carver M-400t "cubed" amps and a TFM-35x...they're decent amps that IMO sounded fantastic with my JBL L112 Century II monitors and Magnepan MGLR1 planars, but a bit harsh with the Cornwalls. You could try the Silver Seven t monoblocks with your KGs, but they'd probably serve you better thru the Focal JMLabs Electras if you plan on purchasing them.

Ugly mothers? Hardly...I like their unorthodox chassis. Very unique IMO!

If they are in near-mint condition and within your budget (and they're what you want), then get 'em...fast!

Good luck.

post-11084-13819304891528_thumb.jpg