La Scala refin suggestions?

hififreq

Hi all,

I finally got a pair of La Scalas! They are '77's, and finished in black with aluminum edging. They don't have handles though.

They are a little rough on the edges, and the paint is kinda beat. I'm thinking of squaring up the corners and smoothing out the dings, and then refinishing. The problem is I don't know if I should paint them black or veneer them. If I veneer them, I'll paint the doghouse and back black, and veneer all of the other surfaces. If I paint them, I'd like to use a semi-gloss textured paint. I'll add grills over the HF drivers.

I guess my question is........what is a good, easy to work with textured paint? Anything good in a spray can? I'd rather not have to use a gun, as it's kind of a pain with no garage to work in.

Any help?

Corey

DUDE, those sound like Industrials! Is there handles on the sides, a metal jack plate in the back, anything that says '200 watts'?

I have two pair of those, they are a bit different than normal LS. Are yours single cabinets or two parts, like the ones in my avatar photo?

Michael

K-33 was for the home model I thought[*-)]

Metal banding one piece but no handles[8-)]

Could have possibly been a custom made pair but I would venture to say someone worked over a home pair somewhere down the line from original purchase[:|]

I doubt you want to tackle a new skin of wood if you don't have a garage to work in! You could always just drop them off in the morning at the pickup truck place that sprays tough liner on and then pick them up on your way home[:o]

Good luck on them no matter which way you go Corey[:D]

Yeah, I thought maybe custom ordered too. I have a cellar workshop to do them in, but spraying next to the furnace is probably not cool.

I think veneer would look great, and I'm thinking maybe figured maple. I have maple floors, so the wife will approve!

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the texture paints out there today?

Corey

If Klipch did the metal banding, there will be cast corner pieces about 2" long per side. They made these up themselves I'm told.

So do they have the standard 'open backs' to the horns with the xover on the shelf? If so they are definitely the home versions.

Michael