Phasing of subs

joedingo

So, I know this is overkill, but I am adding a second Paradigm PW2200 to my system. It is a demo floor model from the Klipsch dealer I have had a good relationship with for over 20 years. The reason I say it is overkill is that I also have a 15" Velodyne FS1500R running as well with my current Paradigm.

For those familiar with the Paradigm units, I already have the X30 control unit, which allows output to two subs, but only controls phasing for one of them (the second sub you just have to adjust phasing with the controls on the back of the sub). I currently use the lab outs on my Adcom to signal my two subs, the Paradigm and the Velodyne. I have the phase currently set at 180 on my current Paradigm PW2200 and that is what gives the best overall sound in conjunction with the Velodyne.

My question is that by adding a second Paradigm sub, should the phasing be set at 180 for that one as well?

My dealer said 180 for the second Paradigm is what he'd recommend, but then added that running three subs may just require "screwing around with it until it sounds right" as it isn't somethig many people do.

I may not end up with the best sounding system, but the "Feng Shui" aspect will be improved with one Paradigm in front of each K Horn and the Velodyne between the Cornwalls

The subs should all be in phase with each other, and you should try them all at 0, and them all at 180 and use whichever gives more bass. It won't necessarily be the 180 setting, just because the salesman said so.

Edit: Sorry double post.

Maybe you might find this helpful:

http://www.klipschcorner.com/Articles.aspx?guid=feb5d669-1513-426d-a8fc-29f8aa90869f

In your situation of two subs, you would go through the entire setup

procedure for just one sub, then turn it off and repeat for the other

sub. If things sound wierd, try repositioning the subs and repeat the

setup procedure unti you end up with something that sounds right.

The use of two subs can be real beneficial or real detrimental

depending on the acoustics of the room. If you're finding it more

detrimental, then just place them near each other (or stack them).

Well, after monkeying around for quite a while, it ended up that the best sound seemed to come from centering the Velodyne between the Cornwalls in the rear, and placing one Paradigm directly in front (about one foot out) of each K Horn at the same angle as the K Horn into the room. Both Paradigms ended up phased at 180 and that is what seems to sound best in conjunction with the Velodyne.

Now, if only I liked rap or hip hop, I could crack the sheetrock in the walls by just turning each sub up a little.