B&W 703's with SS Macs

fgarib

Hey there,

I have just recently started seriously considering buying a pair of B&W 703's brand new after hearing a couple pairs of B&W speakers at friends' places. It's an amazing sound, and crisp and clean, unlike many other speakers that I've heard.

So now that I'm shifting my Khorns and KG's into a dedicated home theater, I need to start investing into a nice 2 channel system. My integrated McIntosh MA6400 that used to power my KHorns is left over and I was wondering if they would be a good pairing with the B&W's.

Anyone have any experience with combining the two? My initial thoughts are that it might end up being a KILLER combo... but would the mac be too underpowered for the speakers? Are they really power hungry?

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Regards,

Fauzi

Try this but don't expect much technical help:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=22

I have had Klipsch (K Horn, Belles, Heresy) and B&W's (DM3000 & N801's). Going from a K Horn to a 703 does not sound like a move up. If you get your K Horns really dialed in (Crossovers, equipemnt, etc), they can run with the higher 800 series B&W's. If you want a move up, you need to go to 800 series and be preparred to spend a fortune on related equipment.

My 2 c.

Chris

Chris,

Hey!! Thanks for the reply. I don't expect it to be a step up from the KHorns at all... In fact, the reason I'm doing this is because I'm shifting the KHorns to a dedicated Theater / Listening room, with my (LOVELY!) Lexicon Pre pro, and a nice power amp (to be purchased.. I really loved them with the Mac, but I want to go separates with them for sure, so with a separate listening room, I think, for the first time since I've had them, I'll be doing my Khorns justice.

I've been headed that way anyway... I've recently upgraded them with DeanG's crossovers, and got them really nicely repaired from the outside... And the way they sound now in my (extremely) bright living room... Well, a dedicated room is the only way to go.

Once they shift, however, I'll be left with a living room with a speakerless McIntosh SS Integrated 6400. So back to my question: Will this amp drive the 7 series confidently enough? It's a 100 watts of very clean power, which is what has been feeding my KHorns to date... But since they're such efficient speakers, I can't help but wonder how the B&W's will take to them.

Thanks for the link... will check it out.

Anyone else with experience running the 7 series with Mac SS?

Fauzi

100 wpc may be pushing it. I used a 170 wpc Sony receiver with B&W DM3000's and going to a 200 wpc QSC really helped (the QSC is a higher quality amp). The Mac's 100 wpc may be pushing it. Depends on the size of the room. Take your Mac gear to the dealer and try it out with the speakers.

Here is the thing though, if you are going to listen to two channel and already have K Horns, you really need to go with the 800 series from big heritage (K Horns, Belles, La Scalas, etc).

And you will wind up repalcing your amps and other gear too. Think it through before you jump. It is a big investment of cash to replace the Klipsch. They really perform. I now use 500 wpc monoblocks that are stable down to a very low load where 100 wpc was plenty. The big heritage are really hard to beat.