KG 5.2 Mid Range crackle

Big Tooms

I just started having the exact same problem with my KG 5.2. In my case, it's definitely the 10" woofer. I've inspected the driver and don't see any sign of a problem, but there's a new scratchy/staticy sound once in a while that is driving me crazy.

I don't know what to do about it yet, but I guess we're in this together.

Scratchy sounds are usually the result of the speaker coil rubbing against one side of the magnet assembly. It can be a warped coil, or it can be bad rubber surrounds.

In the case of a warped (or overdriven and overheated) coil, the only remedy short of replacing the entire speaker, is to have the speaker cone/coil assy. replaced.

For a bad surround (check for tears near where the rubber meets the speaker paper or near where it meets the metal frame), and in this case, the surrounds need to be replaced. The scratching in this case is due to the speaker coil becoming out of alignment with the circular slot it rides up and down in. If it's off even only a MM or so, it will allow the speaker coil to rub along the magnet assy.

The rubber surrounds, along with making the speaker air-tight, keep the speaker cone "suspended" and centered properly so the coil can move freely in only one direction, along the in/out plane.

YOU SHOULD STOP playing it until it's repaired, as the more rubbing, the more damage it does to the coil, till which time the coil is damaged beyond repair.

• 2 weeks later...