I'm receiver shopping also

JetSnake

My current receiver is a ten year old Pioneer Elite VSX-49, 100 watt at 0.8% 8 ohm, has no component input or digital audio input (Dolby pro logic). Time for an update.

For speakers, I have boxed up my smaller 5.1 system and now just play my set of Klipsch KG 5.5. After contacting Klipsch support about what speakers to go along with the 5.5's, I feel I will go with the RC-62 for the center, RS-62 for the rear, I haven't decided on a sub yet, possibly the RW-12d. After I'm done with that, I might replace the KG 5.5 with a set of RF-63. I have the feeling that Klipsch might have a replacement for them by that time.

For a new receiver I have been looking at (but not limited to) the Pioneer Elite line-up. I would like to have 3 sets of component and digital inputs, ( 1 for Xbox360, 1 for the DVD player, 1 for the cable box or satellite) that should do it. I'm not sure I need more then the Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV?!?! It's rated at 110 watts X 7 at .09%. What would have the bigger effect, the extra 10 watts or the difference in where they measure the power, .8% vs. .09% compared to my old receiver? Multi room might be a possibility in the future. I'm not sure if I need HDMI, or what they are even for or any other connections that will be needed in the future.

My second choice to Pioneer would be Denon but seems like you have to spend more on a Denon to get the same power output. I know this is a hard question to answer because everyone has a different need for a receiver but I appreciate your input.

...My second chose to Pioneer would be Denon but seems like you have to spend more on a Denon to get the same power output. I know this is a hard question to answer because everyone has a different need for a receiver but I appreciate your input.

Welcome to the forum JetSnake.

When it comes to AVR's I look at the Power Consumption numbers and weight of the comparable units. I am not technical enough to adequately explain this, but my conclusion after experience and limited research (to what was available to me) was more consumption of power (with the exception of Sunfire AVR's), into a heavier amplification section gives more of a desired result when it comes to speaker performance. The Denon's and the HK AVR's fit that criteria. That being said I have read that other AVR's can work at lower volumes and/or with room treatment.[;)]

Welcome, I hope your prepared for the maddness, there are many choices out there, many brands new, many vintage receivers, but I believe you want atleast a 5.1 set-up. Dolby Pro Logic was good in it's day, but 5.1, or DTS will blow you away, Take your time, shop around, Pioneer, Yamaha, HK, are nice, for a few bucks more you could do Marantz, many places to purchase, try to get free shipping, you can, Circuit City over the internet has good deals, free shipping, and sometimes cash cards are free, many places, many choices,....................it is just starting, feel the maddness build............

I too am a Denon fan and will attest that there is good reasoning for the extra price.

As far as other options are concerned, the outlaw audio gear is rather impressive - especially for the dollar.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

I've not heard one, but there are only rave reviews online as well as a lot of happy forum members. It looks like it has all the video switching you'll ever need.

If you're gonna go HD for the picture, then you might wanna hold off a bit and let the format wars settle down.

As far as Outlaw, I remember reading that they had very specific

reasonf for going DVI and worst case scenario a basic adapter can be

implemented to support HDMI. Ultimately, the only real difference is

that HDMI can carry an audio signal - something you'll probably never

bother with.

What are these power consumption numbers you speak of?

It is the power consumption the amplifier uses from the wall and is listed as "Power Consumption" on the spec sheets.

You will find the Denons and the HK's consume 2 to 3 times more power than the comparable Yamaha's and Pioneers (although I think the THX ultra certified Yammi AVR's use higher current amps) Sunfire has found away to use smaller amps to get higher current--but they are the only company (with my limited knowledge) that can achieve the goal of higher power output with smaller amps.

This is only my speculation through independent research.[;)]

Yeah, that's right?!?! HDMI and DVI are both digital signal, I think I seen an adapter on the monster web site.

How does the HDMI connections work on today's receivers? Is it just a switcher or for an example, can you run a HDMI cable from the DVD player to the receiver and then run component cables from the receiver to the TV? I guess I'm asking if the receiver will convert the incoming HDMI signal to analog component output?

I believe the "today" blu-ray players are using HDMI connections. Or, might they use a different connection in the future when they become more settled, is that what's going on?

Now, I have a HDTV 1080i. I'm not sure what my HD-DVD plan is. I just want to minimize my "being left behind in technology" after I buy my system.

I swear to god, Dolby digital came out 10 minutes after I bought my Dolby pro-logic receiver.