Full circle and lotsa questions

Raider

I had a few minutes to go by a local Reference dealer and was able to hear the RF63, RF62, RF52 and the RB51. Wasn't at all what I expected, which was for the voicing of the various speakers to be much closer than it was. I used a CD I am very familiar with, "Out of the Grey" and first listened to the 62's. Wow. I was surprised at how deep and articulate the bass was. I clearly preferred the 62's to the 52's. Then I heard the 63's. After a good while of comparison back and forth, I told the salesman that you could easily be infinitely happy with the 62's - if you had never heard the 63's. I was really surprised to hear how much difference there was in the voicing of the two. The 62 was detailed, balanced, and articulate, very detailed and dynamic. The 63 took this to a whole 'nother level. The midrange especially was more natural, as if the instruments were in the room. They were also more holographic or three dimensional.

Comparing the floor standing to the bookshelves confirmed others assertions here that the floor standing models give up nothing in imaging/staging but add a very natural octave of bass.

The real surprise for me was how good the RB51 and RB61 were. These to me are the clear choice for space restricted applications, when augmented by a sub. I will likely use a pair of the RB61's in my office/studio.

The speakers I didn't get to hear that he didn't have on hand were the RC64, the RF82 and the RF83. I also didn't get to hear any Klipsch subs as most of the time listening to the floorstanding speakers they weren't needed. I concluded that any sub used with the floor models would have to be very articulate very deep to be a good match without distracting from the excellence of the bass already there. What are the best value Klipsch subs?

From what I heard tonight, I am leaning toward RC62, RF62's and RS52's, But it is really tempting to bite the bullet and go with RC64, RF63 and RS62.

However I was disappointed not to hear the RF82, which I have heard many say is a value leader, or to hear the Reference flagship RF83. Any feedback on what I should expect from these appreciated.

After I left there I went to a BB big box store to look at TV's. While I stopped to look at a camera, everyone stopped in their track to hear Pink Floyd's alarm clocks going off from the rear of the store. Three young sales guys were amusing themselves by playing this REALLY loud. I was amazed at how clear it was from the front of the store. When I got to the back the were using a Synergy Klipsch system. The volume of the system with no distortion in such a large warehouse spoke for itself. But as good as it was, and clearly so relative to the other brands there, I was surprised to see how little more it took to get into the Reference line. I could also tell a distinct difference in the voicing, and the difference in the woofer material.

Later I was in Costco, and ran across the iFi for only $199. Seems Kipsch is at every turn for me tonight. Is Klipsch in m destiny, or just my reticular activating system at work?

The thing tonight I am having trouble forgettting is the remarkable, natural dynamics and musicality of the RF63....

The best value klipsch sub is actually the Synergy Sub-12 (a Best Buy model). You will never find anything that packs more punch for under $500. Stepping it up to a more refined level is the new RT-12d subwoofer (not sure of the retail). And if you want even more insane check out the Klipsch THX Ultra2 subwoofer system ($3500). Here are the product pages in the order I listed:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=930

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=1023

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=742

Those are the only Klipsch subs I would ever purchase. If I were to go with something else it'd be a DIY custom job.

Before you end up making your speaker purchase I would highly recommend considering some of your future goals and taking an inventory of yourself. If you end up with a 62 based system are you going to second guess your decision and end up with the 83's anyway? Everybody is obviously going to vote for the 83 system, but we're also not the ones paying for the purchase either. [;)] If you think you might upgrade in the future, whether it be up in the same series or to another line like the THX Ultras or the new Heritage, then perhaps you might consider going with fewer speakers and a better line. Later on down the road when funds become available again you can finish the full expansion of the system.

All that matters in the end is that you're happy with your purchase - it's a lot easier to enjoy the music/movies when in the back of your head you're convinced you got the best sound for the money spent. [H]

Is "new Heritage" an oxymoron?

One thing I have found out the hard way. I have seldom regretted stepping up to what I really wanted, but I have often regretted settling for an 80% solution.

Now if I can just figure out what I want!

It used to be easy. When I was in college I couldn't afford any of them.

The khorn, lascala, and heresy have been selling since their incepetion, but recently klipsch released the Cornwall III and with it has updated the entire lineup. Better crossover and updated squaker and tweeter drivers on the khorn. Better bracing of the bass bin on the lascala in addition to the same new squaker/tweeter/crossover. The heresy and cornwall are using an entirely new tweeter (new driver and horn) in addition to an entirely new squaker (new driver and horn). Standing wave issues have been resolved in the Cornwall III and the Heresy has finally been voiced as a stand alone main speaker. Sure, this line comes with a pricetag, but holy crap does it sound nice. The beautiful wood veneer is just a bonus making them fine pieces of furniture - at least that's what you're supposed to tell the wife [;)]

Here's a price list:

http://www.klipschcorner.com/audiofaq.aspx?Id=5