Finally building my HT! HELP!

fgarib

Hello all,

After just over two years of researching, picking fourm members' brains, looking for good deals, spending money, wondering if I did the right thing, listening to my wife's complaints... I'm finally jumping in and finalizing my HT room.

I contemplated building a separate dedicated room for this... however, ideal though the idea was, it was just not practical at all. So it's come down now to sharing our drawing / living room with with projector, 96 or 100 inch screen and tons of equipment... all of which have to be hidden.

A few specs on the room, and then I wanted to ask a few questions.

The room is actually a very loooong room, 12' x 30', with the short wall actually having a recessed "niche" along the entire wall. In other words, where the room ends, the 12' wall actually extends beyond the end of the room, and kind of becomes a "stage" that is 3' above the floor and 3' deep. So it lends itself beautifully to placing a screen in that niche. If only my wife would see it that way! I'll take some pics later on tonight and try to attach them to this post.

So far, I have decided on the following equipment (some yet to be purchased.)

- Processor: Lexicon MC-8

- Amps: 5 channel Rotel (surrounds)

2 channel NAD (mains - going to be upgraded sometime soon.. do I hear Bryston?)

- Speakers: Fronts: Klipsch KG 2.0

Sides: Klipsch RS-25 / 35 (yet to be puchased)

Center: RC-3

Rears: Kef surrounds (Don't remember the model)

Sub: Rel Stampede III

Projector: Panasonic AE-900

Screen: 96' or 100' Dalite Brilliant White motorized

I plan on putting the fronts and center on the front of the "stage" floor.

My questions: (Now for the crux of the matter!)

a) My room is extremely "bright." The walls are concrete and the floor is marble. Aside from dispersion / diffusers and other room correction stuff, is there anything that is hgiher in WAF that you can think of? Of course there are sofas and other seats in that room... but other than that.

B) The small KEF speakers are to be mounted towards the back of the room... almost 30' from the screen. Keeping that and the room size in mind, do you think the above equipment will be able to do the room justice? I mean, will it fill up the room?

c) I know that corners are the best for sub placement, usually. However, the way the room is going to be set up, that might not be possible. So the only reasonable place that i can think of will be under the rear speakers, behind a sofa. Since this is a downward firing woofer, and it'll be non carpeted under it, the effect should still be there. Any views?

d) I plan on ceiling mounting my projector inside a wooden designed enclosure. In that enclosure, I plan on having a UPS for the projector also. Any suggestions on a UPS? Or will a regular computer UPS suffice?

Any tips and suggestions will be highly appreciated as this has been a labor of love many years in the making. I'm sure I'll keep this thread alive with the amount of questions that I have! Will keep posting pics if people are interested.

Regards,

Fauzi

Sorry folks.. didn't have time to put up pics... but tonight hopefully.

Meantime, I'm kind of torn between getting a Dalite Tab Tensioned (just because it's supposed to be better) and a non Tab-Tensioned (just because that's all I can afford!)

Any experience with how much of a difference the Tension makes? The price difference is significant.. almost $1,500 in the same size screen.

Help out folks... I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Fauzi