Anyone own Denon 1920 or 1930?

damonrpayne

Today I got fed up with the HD-DVD and BluRay crap yet I need a new DVD player for my new home theater. Lack of showroom stock saved me from an impulse buy of the Dennon player on the way home but I might still pick one up soon. Anyone own one of these? I'm specifically interested in CD playback and performance of the upscaling to 1080i.

I don't have it, but I looked hard at it for a while, because I was primarily interested in DVD-A and SACD playback, and secondarily in good video performance. However, now I know about the two Oppo players highly touted over at AVS Forums: the 971 (top notch upscaling video performance; plays DVD-A but not SACD; $199) and the 970, a universal player (flexible multichannel options, good video performance; $149). The 971 scored higher than nearly every other DVD player on the HomeTheaterHiFi DVD benchmark test. You could buy both for not much more than the price of the 1920. If I bought a new one, it would likely be the universal 970. You might check them out at www.oppodigital.com.

I have had the 1920 for about 9 months. It does a real nice job of upscaling to 1080i. I am using a hdmi connection to my Toshiba 52 dlp. I have been having a hard time finding any sacd, I is like looking for a needle in a haystack at most stores. I bought one and it turned out it was only a 2 channel super audio. In short I am happy with it!