Sub Question

Hagood

I don't have any complaints about the bass, but I'm wondering how well a down-firing sub like my KSW-12 works when sitting on carpet ? It seems like this would muffle the bass. I don't really have any options for setting it on a hard floor, but would it be better to come up with something to set under it ?

my friend did that. he had a 10 or 15 inch sub that was downfiring. the sound was great in his old room but when he moved into a different room in his house without a hard wood floor, the bass was not there like it used to be, especially when he turned it down. So we went to Home Depot and get some nice wood (oak i think, somthing hard like oak or hickory) and painted it to match the sub, routed the edges and cut the corners so that teh sub's legs would fit into the wood plate we created seemlessly to make it look like it was meant to be that way. the sound was much better. not a night and day change, like from a 6 inch to a 10 inch woofer, but it was very noticable. one thing he said he might do is put a sort of pyramid in the center of the plate, only like 1/2-1" tall, to send out the bass... that is his theory at least.

hope this helps a little Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

i wouldn't worry 'bout it. bass waves aren't soaked up by much. that's why u can hear/feel 'em through concrete walls. i'm sure many down-firing sub designers realized many of their product would be sitting on carpet. if you start sticking things underneath the only thing different you'll maybe hear is a rattle. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hagood:

boa12 is correct. In this scenario, bass will not be affected by the down-fire into the carpet, if it were high and mid-range frequencies, that would be another story...they would be absorbed. Sitting any of the KSW downfiring subs on a hard floor or flat surface will create the same basic sound. A change will occur the closer you place them in the corner of the room.

PhilH