wondering about dvd players

bmxfelon420

Well i just moved into a friend's house, and he has a 61" zenith projection tv. Now so far it seems awesome, i hooked my phillips dvp-642 dvd player up to the component input and enabled progressive scan and it looks good. When i thought about it, i thought: Isnt hdtv 1080p? If so, would i notice any advantage to upgrading to a 1080p dvd player that upscales, or would i be better off waiting until blu-ray or hd dvd players come out and are widespread?

I do notice that playing halo2 on xbox is painful compared to dvd watching, since it is only in 480p. The colors are drastically improved, and the picture sharper, but not as good as i would have liked it. When i get the component cable for the ps2 ill see how gran turismo 4 looks, as it is supposed to output in 1080p

Jay is correct in that most HD TVs are 720P and that HD DVD and Blur-ray are expensive.

The Toshiba HD DVD player gives great 1080i performance. It looks like an improved model is on the way now, but not out yet. I expect HD DVD players to be around $400 by Christmas or lower. HD DVD is the best HD source available at this time.

HD DVD software is scarce and expensive at this time. It looks like HD DVD software will go down in price soon and major titles are likely to be released for the winter shopping season.

Bill

Throwing out some thoughts and questions here.

It seems to me that our monitors are doing so much processing that the DVD player, progressive or interlaced output, might not make much of a difference.

For example, I bought a 37 inch HP LCD (direct view) monitor, recently. An old Sony DVD budget player is one source. And I sometime watch DVDs on a Compac widescreen laptop. (Both about 720 pixel, vertical.) It seems to me (by armchair thinking, not vision) that the image displayed is not interlaced after all the processing and upverting. Right?

Therefore, I don't worry about the old Sony as a source.

People want to eliminate interlacing (painting two fields of alternating lines in succession). But then other give good reviews to microdisplay rear projection DLP units using color wheels.

The color wheels used with microdisplays typically have 6 or 7 sectors to make up a single image. It is not interlacing. But a given frame sure is painted more than once. At least three times as may as the nominal interlaced in a direct view CRT. Yes, we all have read about rainbow effects from color wheels.

My informal conclusion is that the interlaced versus progressive debate at the DVD player layer of the chain is not something to worry about. If you want to worry, it is about the upversion and other processing in the monitor.

If so, why are people so focused on DVD players these days?

Best,

Gil

I think I know Just the component your looking for but i dont know your budget. DVDO has been making pro grade video hubs for some time now ...they will also provide professional upconversion of your DVDs, well actually anything you plug into this hub will be upconverted...it is a lossless upconversion. Fantastic company and they have DVD packages too. Here is a link to their website for you to read up on.

DVDO LInk:

http://www.dvdo.com/index.php

Why wait and see who wins the software war for best HD? Take advantage of HD now with the films you already own on DVD!