OK, So why doesn't Klipsch Make a Horn-Loaded Sub?

Raider

This'll be interesting. I take it that the D-8 uses passive radiators like Sunfires typically do. So the execution by the two different manufacturers will make for an interesting comparison.

By the way, something I have often wondered about. I have heard it said that passive radiators behave very similarly to ports, but don't have the problem of port noise. It would seem to me that the passives also effectively multiply the surface area and displacement of the primary driver for a given motor movement and that the passive solution should increase the output of the speaker more so than porting. Is this true, even if the port is large in diameter? Is there a tradeoff (of course there is; this is speakers we are talking about) involved where you reach a point in adding passive surface area beyond which it is more advantageous to add another active driver for a given volume enclosure?

I have been very impressed with the RT12-d I have listened to, with its only disadvantage for me being the cost which will be a stretch. I'm also trying to decide if I would be happier with two lesser subs at the same net cost. I would be using these with Reference floorstanders so response below about 50 hz is the main concern.

I would be interested in your opinion also, given your expereince with several, to know what subs you consider to be peer subs with the RT12-d as far as sound quality and output. At the RT 's price point, are there better alternatives? A similar question would be are there any subs at a lower price point that have similar performance. I am leaning toward an RT sub at this point, and will listen to one more tomorrow, but my experience with home audio subs is limited, and I was just curious as to what relative value the RT represents in the market.

Thanks for any input and opinion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters the D series from Sunfire are very economical,like the newest Klipsch subs they are made in China.The packaging is quite good(double boxed like the more upscale Sunfires).

The D-8 is fun,fun not because it can do things a monster can.Fun because it is so tiny and yet capable of a solid 30Hz in a mid sized room! The woofer,remember a 8" one weighs almost 23lbs! The motor structure is humongous.

The switching amp plate takes the whole back,and almost no space inside.As all space(close to all)is taken by the woofer.

So far no serious tests,as it is late and my day was long.This commong Saturday I will have some serious tests.

No go for one but potent sub,one good spot to find and voila.Multiple subs require much more work to sound good(unless stacked or side by side).My new RT-10d will be ran thru my battery of tests this Sunday.So far I am very pleased with what little I heard,and I am not often wrong when it comes to chosing subs.

The reason I have so many is for kicks,as if I had to have only one it would be the most capable sub made up to 15K.Always go for the most capable sub you can buy.