KLF 20 shielding

panther1

Just purchased KLF 20s for home theater. Planned on placing them adjacent to mitsubishi HDTV wide screen but noticed they are not video shielded. My home theater room is just coming together(sanding drywall) thus don't have system up and running yet. Is this a real concern and should I consider returning KLF 20's for a reference series speaker which I noticed are shielded. Thanks

Panther,

You won't know until you try. TeeVees vary tremendously in their sensitivity to magnetic interference. I have an REL subwoofer. I can put it within about two feet of my wife's 27" Mitsubishi with no problem. I had a lot of trouble finding a place in the SAME HALF OF THE DAMN ROOM where it wouldn't screw up my 35" Toshiba.

Go figure.

Ray

There are more esoteric solutions, but generally they glue magnets of opposite polarity to the back of the driver. This reduces the original problem. Yes they sell bucking magnets under the spare parts list (under Home Audio), but there isn't always room in the cabinet when you are talking about horns.

Shielding is accomplished sometimes with only a reverse polarity magnet added to the driver. this is called a 'bucking' magnet.

Other times, a shield cup is added over the complete motor assembly of primary magnet plus bucking magnet. This adds additional shielding.

To make a woofer very high efficiency, large magnets are used. Thus it is possible to have more problems with a Klipsch speaker than another brand when placed at the same distance from a TV.

Magnetic force decreases as the square of the distance. Twice as far equals 1/4th the magnetic force. Any increase in distance is a benefit. Sometimes one inch will make all the difference.

Won't glueing magnets to the back of the woofer decrease it's efficiency? I have the Hersey II's and they really mess with my TV if they are too close. Now I have them about one and a half feet away and angled in a little bit for imaging. I have no problems like that. But I now have the KSW 15 and I would like to put it in the corner but There isn't enough room for it and the Hersey in that corner. What do I do?