Does the Klipsch iGroove deliver decent bass?

stratcat

• 3 weeks later...

Just had one arrive today. Works great with my iPOD Mini

and the bass response is more than sufficient for such a small

package, even at low volumes (listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the

Moon right now). Crank it up and it's true Klipsch - crisp and clean

(own La Scala's and Forte's, Cornwalls previously - old school kinda

guy).

The refurb units are a great deal for the money and would be perfect

for a dorm room. When I get a chance, will compare to the Bose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have no doubts that the ifi will probably have more bass output than the igroove, however they're slightly different applications.

As far as comparing the igroove to its competitors, it beat them all very audibly. I personally demo'd them side by side with the Apple, Bose, and other front line competitors. I thought the Apple would be the victor, but alas the Klipsch came out on top in all of my categories (extension, loudness, quality and clarity). To be fair I played the same song with the same iPod settings for each setup.

I was suprised at how badly the Apple fell short of my expectations, noting especially that this demo took place in an Apple store. I can't see how they'd sell any of these while placed right next to the igroove; they're half the sound quality at twice the price!

• 3 weeks later...

This unit has plenty of bass. I had listened to the Bose Sounddock in a store and was suitably impressed. Then at another store I got to compare the Sounddock side-by-side with the iGroove. The difference in sound was immediately apparent. The Sounddock was totally lacking in bass response, but had nice highs and mids. The iGroove has it all - low end, mids and highs. Plus you can connect anything with a line out or headphone jack to the iGroove - I like that too.

I have the iGroove set up in my kitchen and it is fantastic. Great bass even at low volumes. It is not boomy or overbearing, but pretty fat. I still can't get over how great this unit sounds - especially for the money and size.

Circuit City has them on sale for $199 on line. Well worth the money!! I'm much more satisfied than I was with the crappy JBL SoundStage I bought prior. It got to sit on my counter for about 15 minutes before it got boxed right back up and taken off to be returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally pulled the trigger on the silver refurb iGroove since they are now $100 in the online store... Daughter wanted a black one to match her ipod, but for 200 bucks less I think I'll just buy her a $.99 can of black spray paint - or she can just live with the silver!

UPDATE 11/22/06:

Got the iGroove in this morning, daughter hooked it and it sounded great! Then she moved it into her room and it wouldn't power back up. No light (red or green) on the front of the unit at all. The iPod appeared to be charging, so the unit was getting power. Called Klipsch and they said it sounded like an amplifier problem. Still waiting for the email with information on returning the unit.

I guess that's one of my biggest fears with getting refurbished units - getting someone elses intermittent/flaky problems. I sure do wish they had offered to cross ship since this thing wasn't even a day old.