Massive Attack

DrWho

So I finally got around to purchasing a Massive Attack album; this one is entitled "Collections"

collected.jpg

http://www.inflightdata.com/collected.html

I think it's their newest release which is a compilation of some good songs over the years. They are an electronica / industrial / trance type band so definetly not the general cup of tea for most on the forum. But I think this album is very well put together and it only cost $14 at Best Buy. It gets a bit sleepy when you listen straight through and some of the later songs you're left wondering if it's the same band. I'd be curious to hear the impressions of others that have listened to this album - I can't say I dislike any of the songs, but there are a few that I feel the need to be high in order to be listenable. I would love to see these guys live...

For those that have never heard of them you have got to check out their website - trippy awesome crazy style: http://www.massiveattack.com

I've been listening to Massive Attack for well over a decade. The one

that does it the most for me is Mezzanine. I'm sure a few tracks from

it or on your comp(maybe Angel with awesome vocals from reggae great

Horace Andy or maybe This Love with vocals from the lovely Liz Fraser).

Actually there is an album that I like more but it's kind of a cheat.

Massive Attack vs. Mad Professor. Totally spliffed-out dub version of

their No Protection album with a bunch of vocals from Tracey

Thorne(Everything But The Girl). Massive Attack also remix a track by

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan titled Mustt Mustt and it's simply hypnotic.

Check it out if you can. Anything they touch at least has killer

production. They are one of the headliners at the Austin City Limits

music fest in a few weeks. Lucky me...I can hear the fest from my porch.

Dittos on Mezzanine-- I've like them since Blue Lines, which is very very good, too--

Mezzanine is always an incredible listen. Smoky, sexy vocals, and dense, percolating rhythms. Its not a "HIT!!!!" record, just some of the most interesting (without being too obscure) music ever made--

If you like Mezzanine, get Tricky's Maxinquaye. He is an original MA guy and this was made about the same time as Mezzanine. Similar, but also dark, and involving--

All Massive Attacks stuff is good-- and I think I think a comp wouldn't do it justice. Their albums all are so different and seem to hold a mood throughout-- I bet the comp varies too much to be good all the way through--

100th Window is highly recommended too-- the most mysterious, beautiful elevator music you'll hear--