Klipsch KG5.2 (DeanG crossover upgrade)

Big Piney

I noticed on a members sig line this equipment description.

Klipsch KG5.2 (DeanG crossover upgrade)

I have a set of KG 5.2's and have always been pleased with their performance. Being a novice, what improvement would a crossover upgrade provide? And how would I go about doing it if I choose to? Sorry if this is too elementary but I am not a tech person. Thanks.

Several of us here provide various levels of service related to networks -- everything from parts upgrades to after-market redesigns for the bigger Klipsch speakers. Relating to parts upgrades, particularly the capacitors -- there is first the issue of dielectric breakdown due to exposure to environmental changes over time. This problem is more specific to the older big Heritage speakers (where the networks are openly exposed). In the case of the KGs, Forte I & II, Chorus I & II, and the various KLF speakers -- the caps weren't of the highest quality to begin with. The problem here isn't so much related to degradation of performance of the caps so much as to the fact that there are much better performing capacitors available that increase the performance of the speaker which results in sonic enhancement. What you can expect to hear is a sound that is cleaner, smoother, and more open. With the speakers previously mentioned, I offer the bang for the buck solution -- simple capacitor replacement. Chris Munson offers a full blown upgrade solution: The entire network is yanked and replaced with his K-stack, which upgrades every portion of the network (PCB, autoformer, inductors, resistors, and caps). My serice involves sending me your networks for modification. Chris' involves buying his completed replacement units.

Thank you. I might be interested in this upgrade of the capacitors. What is involved by sending the networks and what would the approximate cost be? I think I might be squeamish about cracking open a perfectly good speaker. But for progress I could possibly do it! The speakers are 12 years old so they might be good for another how many years. I dunno. Let me know.