Thanks Sonny and Bruce

Tarheel

The afternoon began with cocktails on the patio under a perfect carolina blue sky. It was the first day of the year with just a hint of fall in the air providing welcome relief from the oppressive humidity that we are known for here in southeastern NC. Later the evening news and then dinner. Retreating to the northeast corner of the house also known as the music room, I was followed by Kate, my 12 year old Lab, who after circling three times settled on the perfect spot for a concert. Tonight there was no indicision. Sonny Rollins would open with "Without A Song-The 911 Concert" and Bruce Springsteen would close with "The Rising".

I pushed the magic button on the Quicksilver preamp that commanded the two switched horn monos to come to life. Obediently the EL-34s started to glow as the tubed Jolida patiently waited its turn. I allowed a three minute warm up before I put in the first cd.

After track three Sonny acknowledged the warm reponse from the audience with the following words. "Thank you ladies and gentlemen you are very kind to us tonight and we appreciate it. Ladies and gentlemen we are here tonight and we all must remember music is one of the most beautifull things in life. We must try to keep the music alive some kind of way and maybe music can help......I don't know but we have to try something these days". Sonny played his heart out for all six cuts of the cd.

A pause for a refill for me and a reload for the cd player. Then it was Bruce's turn. The words from "Empty Sky" and "The Rising" were so powerfull today more than ever. "I want a kiss from your lips, I want an eye for an eye, I woke up this morning to an empty sky".

A great evening with a chance to reflect with two of my favorites. Thanks Sonny and Bruce for keeping the music alive.

Tarheel

• 11 months later...

The afternoon began with cocktails on the patio under a perfect carolina blue sky. It was the first day of the year with just a hint of fall in the air providing welcome relief from the oppressive humidity that we are known for here in southeastern NC. Later the evening news and then dinner. Retreating to the northeast corner of the house also known as the music room, I was followed by Kate, my 12 year old Lab, who after circling three times settled on the perfect spot for a concert. Tonight there was no indicision. Sonny Rollins would open with "Without A Song-The 911 Concert" and Bruce Springsteen would close with "The Rising".

I pushed the magic button on the Quicksilver preamp that commanded the two switched horn monos to come to life. Obediently the EL-34s started to glow as the tubed Jolida patiently waited its turn. I allowed a three minute warm up before I put in the first cd.

After track three Sonny acknowledged the warm reponse from the audience with the following words. "Thank you ladies and gentlemen you are very kind to us tonight and we appreciate it. Ladies and gentlemen we are here tonight and we all must remember music is one of the most beautifull things in life. We must try to keep the music alive some kind of way and maybe music can help......I don't know but we have to try something these days". Sonny played his heart out for all six cuts of the cd.

A pause for a refill for me and a reload for the cd player. Then it was Bruce's turn. The words from "Empty Sky" and "The Rising" were so powerfull today more than ever. "I want a kiss from your lips, I want an eye for an eye, I woke up this morning to an empty sky".

A great evening with a chance to reflect with two of my favorites. Thanks Sonny and Bruce for keeping the music alive.

Tarheel

I am resurrecting this old post and will repeat the musical selections tonight and hopefully make this a 9/11 tradition. Join me if you like. Sorry about the repeat and blank post. First time I have tried this....anyway to get rid of unwanted post?