Rega Saturn CD Player

emdeebee

Has anyone heard this one?

When I talked to my local rega dealer a while back and asked his reccommendation on the Apollo, he told me to hang on to my money, that the upcoming player (the Saturn) would be far superior! He ball parked the retail price at $1,800.00 (that'll keep me using my Planet for the forseeable future!).

Just curious if anyone's had any listening experiences with this one.

Marty

Has anyone heard this one?

When I talked to my local rega dealer a while back and asked his reccommendation on the Apollo, he told me to hang on to my money, that the upcoming player (the Saturn) would be far superior! He ball parked the retail price at $1,800.00 (that'll keep me using my Planet for the forseeable future!).

Just curious if anyone's had any listening experiences with this one.

Marty

I own an Apollo, previously owned, and still have, an original Rega Planet. At the time I purchased the Apollo, the upcoming Saturn model was not available. The Apollo is a noticeble upgrade over the original Planet. I ca not comment on the Saturn vs the Apollo because I have not heard the Saturn. Here are a few links which may be of some value. The last link is a Stereophile review of the Apollo only which.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/121872.html

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?REGA-SATURN&item=90c4401a9c9b7b1643f047ac9a5a0394

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/index1.html

I have enjoyed listening to the Apollo. Because vinyl is my primary source, I am not currently planning to upgrade to a Saturn, plus, the Apollo is a great sounding unit, and well worth it's $1000 price tag. Good luck with your decision.

Klipsch out.

Hi Marty,

I was a long-term user of the original Planet, and when it came time to upgrade I knew I wanted to keep it in the Rega family. I auditioned several Rega's at the same time, i.e., Planet 2000, Apollo, and Jupiter 2000. It was a close call between all three, however, the Jupiter 2000 won me over because of its detail and smoothness.

The Planet 2000 is a great player and a clear improvement over the original. The Apollo is better still, although I found it to be slightly thinner sounding overall than both the original Planet and Planet 2000.

The Jupiter 2000, on the other hand, is miles ahead of all previous Rega CD players in terms of transparency, depth, smoothness and musicality. I can listen to CDs all day through the Jupiter and never tire, yet all the details and PRAT are clearly evident.

Whether the Saturn is an improvement over the Jupiter 2000, has yet to be seen; indeed they share many of the same componetry and circuits. However, if you want state of the art sound now for reasonable money, I cannot recommend the Jupiter 2000 enough. They can be purchased on the web for less than $1,000.00. They tipically sell for between $850.00 to $950.00. Hope this helps.

William