Repairing RF-83 Speaker Cabinet

markmaple

I ordered a pair of B-Stock RF-83. One speaker looks beautiful. The other one has this nice defect in the top left front of the cabinet. I figure I can easily make it look better. My thought was to use a little wood glue and a clamp to bring the split wood together. Then a little paint to touch up the area. Does anyone with wood-working or cabinet experience have any advice.

Thanks,

Mark

post-10994-13819310689298_thumb.jpg

I ordered a pair of B-Stock RF-83. One speaker looks beautiful. The other one has this nice defect in the top left front of the cabinet. I figure I can easily make it look better. My thought was to use a little wood glue and a clamp to bring the split wood together. Then a little paint to touch up the area. Does anyone with wood-working or cabinet experience have any advice.

Thanks,

Mark

I once used black shoe dye and black shoe polish to touch up a similar problem on a pair of black NS10 Yamaha's. If you can dye the wood itself, that's most of the problem. also look in the MinWax section of Home Depot or Lowe's. They have some repair sticks and fixes, though I'm not sure whether offered in black. I would dye first, then glue if needed because few stains will penetrate or cover glue.

I can see the damage but not contrasted enough to really tell how bad.You're on the right track though.Make sure you glue any area needed(you might tape off the damaged area so as not to get outside of it with the rest off the repair)),when that dries I'd fill any blemishes with wood putty(not the soft stuff).Then maybe very very lightly sand(keeping it confined to only the repair)with 400,then 800 grit.When it looks pretty smooth clean it,prime maybe and try satin black oil paint.Spraying would be great but you may get a better job with a small model brush if the damaged area is not too big.If the sheen is off you could mix flat/gloss until it's closer.

Anyway that's what I'd have to do,someone else may have a better plan,good luck.

On a related topic,I bought a pair of 83 b stock but they had a few pairs and I got to open the boxes and pick mine.I was gonna get consecutive numbers but had to skip 1 cause the next number had a missing grill and a small scuff(nothing like damage).The pair I got look as good if not better than my 7's A stock.

I can see the damage but not contrasted enough to really tell how bad.You're on the right track though.Make sure you glue any area needed(you might tape off the damaged area so as not to get outside of it with the rest off the repair)),when that dries I'd fill any blemishes with wood putty(not the soft stuff).Then maybe very very lightly sand(keeping it confined to only the repair)with 400,then 800 grit.When it looks pretty smooth clean it,prime maybe and try satin black oil paint.Spraying would be great but you may get a better job with a small model brush if the damaged area is not too big.If the sheen is off you could mix flat/gloss until it's closer.

Anyway that's what I'd have to do,someone else may have a better plan,good luck.

On a related topic,I bought a pair of 83 b stock but they had a few pairs and I got to open the boxes and pick mine.I was gonna get consecutive numbers but had to skip 1 cause the next number had a missing grill and a small scuff(nothing like damage).The pair I got look as good if not better than my 7's A stock.

Fish, I bet you got cherry. My dealer had several cherry, but no black. So, he ordered black (B-stock) for me. I waited several weeks and go this one. They must pickier with the cherry or don't have much problem with the black. I currently have a cherry RC-64 until my black one comes in. I'm a little nervous to see what that one looks like.