50's era K-Horns 4 Sale

pmcallahan

I have not put together all the details yet but I have a pair of 50s K-horns that I am going to put up for sale before the end of the month. Got a complete kit of spares and extras included-15 inch woofers, mid-range drivers SAHFs, tweeters, oil caps, literature, ...

I am moving to a smaller home and wish I could take these with me but it just is not going to be possible.

I intend to offer these at $2,500 OBO. Shipping is not practical and as these have a couple of issues from the last move which resulted in cracking several vertical supports on the removeable side panels I am going to make these available for pick-up only. I have decided to leave the restoration of the side panels to the next caretaker.

If you are interested please contact me via email at patrick_m_c@hotmail.com. I am located just outside Washington, D.C.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be sick to my stomach at the thought that anyone would try to "restore" these as they are in good working order. It would be a sin to refinish them. No, there is only one change that I would ever consider making and that is to replace the crossover network with a modern one.

... UM.... Something look out of place here???? Look where's he's cabled up...... I don't think that was intended as the input.....

You're right. Unless there is something different about the 50's crossover, that speaker cable is hooked directly to the woofer. Wonder what that would sound like?

... UM.... Something look out of place here???? Look where's he's cabled up...... I don't think that was intended as the input.....

You're right. Unless there is something different about the 50's crossover, that speaker cable is hooked directly to the woofer. Wonder what that would sound like?

Idunno... Hey Pat... Why dont you hook them up to the "Input" on the crossover and tell us if anything changes.... [;)]

You are absolutely correct. I was putting these back together to get them ready for sale and like a bonehead hooked them up wrong. In fact they are not hooked up to anything as I do not have anything to drive them. Assuming the buyer wants to audition them he will have to supply his own amp.

No I am not so sure. It has been a long time I had these hooked up. Tonight I am going to look behind the access plate for a capacitor. I do remember seeing at least one klipschorn from the 70s or 80s that was set up the same way. Bottom posts from the amp. Top posts to the squawker/tweeter. I will post a pic later.