Poor Quality DVD's at Blockbuster

nortynorty

I have had my DVD player for less than 6 months, so I have not seen a lot of movies. However, I have rented at least 3 from Blockbuster that were in what I would consider poor condition. Five day rentals in particular which have been around for awhile are the most effected. The movies will often stall in a particular part. Last night I tried cleaning the disk myself and the movie played through with one minor stall from that point. I was considering getting a CD cleaner and cleaning anything I rent before viewing. While that is not a satisfactory solution from a customer service point of view, if it prevents or minizimizes the stalls then it will probably be worth it. What have others done? If you use a CD cleaner is there anyone in particular which you would recommend...or more importantly...stay away from?

i too have had that problem. i do what you did, i used the Endust CD cleaner, and when i return them, if it was a problem cd i tell BlockBuster and they will mostly eerytime give you a refund or a free rental. i do not know what they will do about this problem, how can you make DVD's not scratch? THey do not scratch very easily, especially compared to CD's, but maybe they should make a higher quality DVD for use of rental stores.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

norty, up to a few seconds stall is normal for most dual layered dvd. some have 2 use 2 layers to get on all the material. usually they'll put the jump in a transitional point in the movie so it should be less noticeable.

however, if it stalls completely and/or jumps & misses material, then your dvd player could need to be repaired. others here & myself had that problem w/ the

sony 650D dvdp. fortunately mine was still under warranty by 1 day. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

• 3 weeks later...

When i rent from Blockbuster...I always clean the disks with alcohol..just to ensure that they don't skip. IMO, this is exactly where you seperate the bad from the good DVD players. I have played several disk i swore were going to skip that didn't on my Denon. The two layer DVDs also cause problems...I have seen some players that just couldn't play the 2nd layer on some DVDs.

For a cleaner, i use a computer cd cleaner, they usually cost about $10 or so. Or you could get Ispropyl Alcohol and a lint free optical tissue. This last item is a bit hard to find, but i just borrow some from my lab :-)

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

Endust makes lint free optical tissues... they are super cheap too Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150