6.1 receiver under $500?

xanderman

I have purchased 4 ea. Quintet satellites, a KSW-12 sub and a SC-1 for a center channel.

I was going to use them with a 5.1 receiver which was my next purchase. I have decided buy a 6.1 system instead. I need two recommendations.

I haven't decided on a receiver. What are suggestions for under $500 on a 6.1?

I have not been succesful on bidding for Onkyo TXDS787 under $500. Do the Pioneer or Sony sub-$500 products deserve a look?

I am limited to a receiver that is less than 6" high unless it will allow RF or non line-of-sight remote input. This unit as this will go in a cabinet with solid door if over 6" high. (I eliminated the Outlaw because it has no other provisins for IR input and is 6 1/2" high).

Can I use another Quintet for the rear center channel? The size of the quintet is acceptable to the wife. If not what are suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

This message has been edited by xanderman on 11-19-2001 at 06:44 PM

I only have a thought about your height limitation. As you probably know, you can buy IR repeaters that will take an IR signal and then shotgun it inside an audio cabinet. They are designed to permit IR control when the doors are closed. That might open up more receiver options for you.

I believe you can find such devices at www.smarthome.com and probably other places as well, although their names escape me.

Doug

Too bad you cann't use the Outlaw ... it's a first class, high-end quality receiver at a very low price. Whatever receiver you get will require "breathing" room ... space for air movement ... otherwise they will overheat and become damaged .... can you install a fan in the cabnet?

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

one that's worth a look is the yamaha htr 5490. it's a 6.1 and can be found on the net for just over $500. Print that page out showing the lowest possible price you can find and take it to your local Sears. They have an internet price matching policy and carry this reciever. You'll save over $200 from their shelf price just by being a smart shopper. Smile.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-20-2001 at 07:38 PM