H/K 430 Sold to Marvel

DizRotus

EDIT: 10-06-2006

$100 included FREE UPS ground shipping from Michigan to Georgia. The manual is attached as pdf.

I had two H/K 430s. They are essentially identical. Each is in good shape functionally and cosmetically. I don't need two. Heck I really don't need even one, but I like to have one around as a backup when I'm tinkering with the primary and secondary tube gear.

You know what they look like, but I'll post pics tomorrow anyway. We all know how the forum never tires of pictures of yet another Cornwall, Las Scala or H/K receiver.

Marvel bought it.

The twin powered vintage HK are excellent solid-state receivers for the money, though 430s usually sell for less than $100 on eBay, 630s and 730s are more in that price range, 930s are usually more than $100, with slightly better features

After AndyHDBRbuilder posted about the HK's a while back, the price ran up on them.430's were going for $100, I bought a 730 on ebay for around $150.

I think maybe the market for the older receivers is widening (ie there are more 'acceptable' brands and designs), thusly putting more items into the used inventory and lowering price a bit.

Of course, if they're Minty- with no scratches on the faceplate, all lights working, no metal scratches, all lettering good, no pot noise, etc, they should fetch top dollar.

M

Colin-

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You Said, "The twin powered vintage HK are excellent solid-state receivers for the money, though 430s usually sell for less than $100 on eBay, 630s and 730s are more in that price range, 930s are usually more than $100, with slightly better features"

I agree with everything you said except that I would change "usually" to "often," but that often does not include shipping which is approximately $35. I saw a 430 go for $197.00 on eBay, I paid $160 for a very clean 730. A good 430 for $100 is a better value than a 730 for $160.

Yes there are features on the bigger versions that are absent on the 430 but the most significant difference is power. The 430 has 25 WPC, the 630 has 30 WPC, the 730 has 40 WPC, etc. The practical difference between 25 WPC and 40 WPC, especially driving efficient Klipsch speakers is essentially zero.

I paid slightly more for an eBay H/K 630, but one of its features was that it only played from one channel. It cost me $35.00 to ship it back to get a refund of the purchase price. Anyone who wants a Harman Kardon 430 should jump at the chance to get one for $100 that is guaranteed to work.

Ill buy all of the 630s and 730s that are guaranteed to work that you can point me to for $150 with no shipping.

Whamo asked, " . . . can you use it as an amp or preamp separately?"

No. The 630 and higher have external jumpers that connect the preamp to the amp. Unfortunately, that is one of the features that the 430 lacks compared to its more powerful siblings.

Another forum member has indicated that he wants the receiver.

OK, thanx. I've got a 330b that is has the jumpers and I also have a 330c that doesn't. I'm working on getting rid of my bedroom setup so I can move some klipsch in there and I want more flexiblity. I'm probably gonna sell my bedroom gear to a friend who is in dire need of a starter stereo. My bedroom system consists of an onkyo receiver and a set of sound dynamic 12s's. I really don't want to part with the speakers but it's time to get rid of a mess of stuff so I can get some nicer stuff. Thanx for the reply and good luck. Mark

arfandbark-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The 930 was impliedly included under "etc." I've got no experience with 930s, but I know that theyre more powerful and I assume that they're fine. The lower number X30 series receivers are more common, and, as I previously indicated, generally a better value when driving efficient speakers.

Unless the added features are important, it makes little sense to pay much more for only a little more power. If I were offered a 930 and an equally nice version of one of its lowered powered siblings for the same price, Id buy the 930.

The coffee cup was an eBay impulse purchase for $12, if memory serves. They come up on eBay fairly regularly. That ones not for sale.

Decades ago I enjoyed riding bikes in and around Perry while at MSU. Isn't Perry really suburban Stockbridge? :-)