SB2 as rear with Heresy II?

pretzelb

I'm thinking of finishing my home theater setup with some SB2 bookshelf speakers as my rears to go with my Heresy II, KSFC5 center, and Paridigm sub. I think a pair of reference speakers might match better but it seems like the rear channel is only used marginally with home theater so it doesn't have to be a total match.

Here's a few thoughts / questions ;

1) My family room is almost completely open on one side so I lean towards a bookshelf. Should I instead lean back to a Synergy surround speaker like the SS5? I do have a 2 foot section of a wall that makes a corner on the open sided wall.

2) If I'm only concerned with movies, should I worry so much about matching the Heresy II's with my surround?

3) Won't bookshelf speakers do a good job at surround? Or, would I need the speakers specifically made for surround?

4) I think I messed up with the KSFC5 and realize it may not be a great match for the Heresy II.

Lastly, let me say that I have nowhere near the knowledge, or probably the ear that most of you do. I found the SB2's to be a very nice pair of speakers on their own merit. I've had the Heresy II's for a long while and just keep them with my configuration. Also, as you probably guessed, I don't have a media room but just a family room that is hardly the perfect area for accoutics.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Matt

Hi Mcqueen,

Wellcome to the Klipsch BB. Here's Da' Hog's two-cents..

I think that the synergy series is an all-around better match for the heresy's. I finished out a system for a client who had a ten-year old set of heresy's w/ a sc-1, sb-2, ksw-12 set-up driven by a sony 555es. It souded great, but we had to step up the center a couple of db. The sb-2's would probably match your center very well also. Bookshelf speakers work well in surround applications, but you may want to go to your local dealer and do an a/b comparison w/ Klipsches' ss-series w/wdst. I would suggest the ss-1 rather than the ss-.5's. Q: What problems are you having w/ the ksf-c5 matching w/ your heresy's (please explain), because a few years back when they were available I sold a few to some clients thinking it would be a better match than the klfc-7. Was I wrong--anybody's wellcome to put in thier thoughts on the heresy/ ksf-c5 combo. Does it work/ work well?

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

mcqueene:

I have not heard a KSF-C5 with Heresy II's, but it looks like it might be OK. The best test is to find a scence like a car going from left to right on the screen with the sound following it left to right. Does it sound natural or does the sound change at all as it hits the middle?

WDST surrounds will give you more ambience with 2 horns on each speaker radiating 180 degrees (horizontally) each vs. 1 horn radiating 90 degrees each on the SB-2's. A better effect in many cases.

PhilH

Thanks for the quick replies!

KHog

I wonder about my ksf-c5 because it seems that there are times where I push the volume up to hear voices and then quickly crank it down when an action scene starts. I tried to use my Yamaha receiver (995r?) to push the Heresy II's down 10db but I didn't like it. I should try to boost the ksf-c5 but the Yamaha controls always give me a headache so I end up giving up.

PhilH

I hadn't tried the test of something going from left to right with my front setup. I usually just concentrate on how well the voices blend with the rest of the sound. I need to find a DVD to test the side to side stuff.

Other Notes

I didn't test the SS speakers when reviewing the sb2's. I automatically dismissed the idea because I don't have 4 full walls (more like 3.25 walls).

Maybe I should reconsider and listen to the SS speakers? Is 3.25 walls enough or do SS speakers need a good multimedia room setup? What do you look for when testing a SS? I really liked the sb2 sound, but I'm guessing that testing SS speakers involves listening to how well the sound is distributed.

Sigh. I should have just saved and saved and bought it all at once.

mcqueene:

As far as your questions in "Other Notes" I think I see what you are asking (??)

Our WDST surrounds don't necessarily rely on bouncing sound off of walls to create ambience. Bipolar and Dipolar surrounds rely on walls much more to create ambience, that is why their placement is much more crucial to get the desired effect. The two horns on the WDST's radiating at 90 degrees each, combine to provide 180 degrees of coverage, whether they are mounted on walls or sitting on stands on either side of your listening area. They should work well in your situation.

When you demo them, try to bring a DVD that has good rear effects, such as The Matrix or "Hell Freezes Over" by the Eagles (for audience ambience) and see what you think.

PhilH